Supervisor, Life Safety Systems
- Washington D.C.
- May 16, 2023
- Jun 20, 2023
- Construction and Skilled Trades
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Full Time
Facilities, Buildings & Grounds (FBG) is currently seeking a Supervisor, Life Safety Systems to help support the University’s mission in education. FBG is a part of GW’s Facilities, Planning and Construction Management Division, which maintains GW’s property and grounds on all three campuses. Employees at GWU are offered a competitive salary, excellent benefits package, general retirement savings options that include university contributions and matching contributions, generous Annual and Sick leave benefits plus many more. For more information about GW benefits, please visit https://hr.gwu.edu/benefits
Reporting to the Manager, Electrical & Life Safety, the Supervisor, Life Safety Systems oversees the operation, inspection, testing, maintenance and repair of all Fire & Life Safety systems and components while ensuring compliance with the regulatory authorities.
- Supervise and coordinate maintenance of life safety equipment to include planning and scheduling of work assignments.
- Supervise and coordinate contracted vendors by assuring that job orders and specifications are followed and to regularly check the quality of work performed.
- Assist and provide training, mentoring and coaching to subordinate staff.
- Regularly check and inspect work performed by subordinates to assure job orders and specifications are followed and to regularly check the quality of work performed.
- Regularly check and inspect the work performed by contractors and approve contractor’ invoices.
- Provides informational data and frequencies of maintenance, supplying input and direction into the development of preventative maintenance schedules and standards.
- Performs or oversees contractors who perform inspections, testing, maintenance and repair of district-wide fire suppression systems (wet/dry sprinkler systems) and gaseous systems in the data center.
- Coordinates testing, maintenance and repairs, preventive maintenance, inspections, etc. ensuring operational integrity of generators.
- Communicates regularly with department heads. Attends regular staff meetings and participates in problem solving and discussions of system and project related issues.
- Reviews plans and specifications related to life safety during renovations and construction projects.
- Act as liaison with regulation authority representatives inspecting university facilities related to life safety.
- Approval of staff leave requests and time cards.
- Setting required goals as per FCPM guidelines and tracking the performance of staff through performance evaluations.
- Obtains quotes for repair and/or installation of systems district wide. Defines options and estimates costs, sets priorities and schedules for construction activities.
- Maintains inventory of essential parts and equipment to ensure repairs and installation in a timely manner, where applicable.
- Responsible for working in the field assisting when necessary.
- Maintains a working relationship with the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, Department of Risk Management, Quality Control and Construction Project Management.
- Maintains knowledge of current regulations codes and procedures pertaining to life safety.
- Enhances professional knowledge and skills by attending job related seminars, conferences and reading published literature.
- Ability to prepare correspondence and/or reports to communicate divisional progress in project tasks.
- Review related contractor invoices for accuracy and completeness and make approvals as needed.
- Maintains appropriate records as required.
- Responds to phone, email, voice mail, verbal and written work orders.
- Performs other work related duties as requested.
The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position