The Fairfax County Health Department is the largest public health department in Virginia, serving 1.2 million residents from diverse ethnic, cultural, and economic backgrounds throughout Fairfax County, as well as the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church and the towns of Herndon, Vienna, and Clifton. With more than 100 years of leadership in the public health field, we are committed to protecting, promoting, and improving the health and quality of life for all in our community.
This job ad is being advertised to fill two positions within the Fairfax County Health Department Informatics and IT team as lead program managers of their domain. As the technical program manager this position will provide oversight and guidance to the agency’s software development domain or software and hardware implementation projects. The positions will involve the responsibility of the configuration, infrastructure, and maintenance of assigned Health Department systems and environments. This will require direct involvement in tasks, as well as management of assigned staff, and oversight of contracted staff and/or vendors.
It is expected this role will lead the agency in the design, development, testing, and maintenance of department specific applications within the Microsoft PowerApps Platform and Azure cloud environment. Another role will lead the implementation of agency public health equipment and software implementation projects which will require the knowledge of IT infrastructure, networks, security, data, and architectural review board processes.
In collaboration with the IT Informatics Manager and other partners, this role will help establish department policies and governance around a Public Health DevOps framework. The technical program manager will conduct analysis and research to recommend and implement solutions based on the program and end user requirements. Collaborate with the Fairfax County Department of Information Technology (DIT) to evaluate options and obtain approvals for solutions, based on county technology standards and integration requirements.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Considerable knowledge of interdepartmental and/or County-wide processes, procedures, and requirements with regard to such administrative functions as personnel, finance, and budgeting;
- Considerable knowledge of the capabilities of information technology software, hardware, and network communication technology;
- Considerable knowledge of the capabilities of various computer platforms functioning in centralized, distributed, client server, and stand-alone environments;
- Considerable knowledge of effective processes, methods, techniques to analyze and evaluate business operations;
- Knowledge of effective project management methods, practices and techniques;
- Knowledge of effective supervisory methods, practices, and techniques (required for some positions);
- Ability to analyze and evaluate administrative processes and procedures for automation purposes;
- Ability to conduct research into new information technology;
- Ability to train employees in the use of hardware and software;
- Ability to prepare user manuals;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Bachelor's degree in business, computer science or a field related to the department where the IT services are being used: plus four years of experience analyzing business processes and/or developing/maintaining the main business system, technical platform or a related system.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid motor vehicle driver's license.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (Required within 60 days)
- AED (Required within 60 days)
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check, and a check of the Child Protective Services Registry to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Familiarity and experience managing and developing solutions and implementing hardware for human services and/or public health systems.
- Considerable knowledge in managing vendor and stakeholder engagement to prioritize and manage the project schedule against specific milestones and deliverables.
- Experience managing and implementing projects using agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Knowledge or familiarity with NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) standards
- Knowledge or familiarity with Azure Cloud environment and architecture.
- Ability to coordinate and manage implementation of health-related hardware, collaborating with other technical teams such as networking and security.
- Ability to form collaborative partnerships across agency programs and other county agencies.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a collaborative team environment.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact in a friendly, service oriented and professional manner with internal and external.
- Ability to help stakeholders effectively define and resolve issues related to business process and technology.
Job is generally sedentary in nature, and requires walking, standing, sitting (for long periods of time), and kneeling, reaching, bending, climbing stairs; may be required to lift or carry up to 25 pounds occasionally. Uses hands to grasp, handle, or feel. Visual acuity is required to read data on a computer monitor; ability to operate keyboard driven equipment and computer; and touchscreen electronics. Position frequently communicates and must be able to exchange accurate information with others verbally and in writing. Generally, works in an office environment yet may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical office setting. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov