AARP Services, Inc., founded in 1999, is a wholly-owned taxable subsidiary of AARP. AARP Services manages the provider relationships for and performs quality control oversight of the wide range of products and services that carry the AARP name and are made available by independent providers as benefits to AARP's millions of members. The provider offers currently span health products, financial products, travel and leisure products, and life event services. Specific products include Medicare supplemental insurance; credit cards, auto and home, mobile home and motorcycle insurance, life insurance and annuities; member discounts on rental cars, cruises, vacation packages and lodging; special offers on technology and gifts; pharmacy services and legal services. AARP Services also engages in new product development activities for AARP and provides certain consulting services to outside companies.
As the Business Development Manager for AARP Services, you will conduct Business Development activities for commercial provider-related opportunities for categories including, but not limited to, Lifestyle, Travel, Technology, Caregiving, Home/Services, Dining, Financial Services, and Health. You will be responsible for supporting and organizing materials by accessing research from a variety of resources to help with prospect decisions. In addition, you will maintain relevant content for market-facing prospecting materials. Assess incoming leads for AARP Services generated from aarp.org and develop reports. Additionally, you will work with the Vice President of Business Development on business development activities, new opportunities, securing deals, and developing new business models that enhance brand equity, increase the breadth of appeal of membership, and drive incremental revenue. Work with a cross-functional team internally to support your business development work on targeted assignments. Responsibilities
- Develops prospect lists, prospecting strategies and conduct outreach to the marketplace. Develops and manages pipeline of prospect/provider targets.
- Represents the organization in the marketplace in a highly professional manner. Communicates effectively with an executive presence and can clearly articulate the AARP value proposition and quickly adapt to varying and sometimes challenging situations.
- Maintains a deep understanding of assigned industries and relevant players to support the creation of a business development strategy that best aligns with the industry, develop business to business (to consumer) value propositions, and develop an insightful and strategic view of the Voice of the Market that defines how the organization should be positioned and navigate industries.
- Supports and/or leads the creation of market scans and opportunity assessments. Leads and/or supports the development of Concept Documents and Business Cases supporting the new product development process. Leads RFP/RFI process including requirements gathering, market outreach, and final selection with coordination from all relevant stakeholders. Leads the negotiation of complex provider, commercial, and strategic relationship agreements.
- Effectively negotiates the best possible agreements that maximize the organization's assets and drives revenue and engagement goals.
- Adheres to CRM and Business Development reporting and activity tracking protocol and requirements.
- Leads and/or supports internal collaboration with all necessary functions and resources throughout the organization to create and implement effective business development solutions and programs. Leads positive organizational change in how new business development opportunities are evaluated and executed.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in sales-related functions including sales support, project management, marketing support, or related areas
- Experience coordinating data and research in support of crafting market-facing presentations
- Must be able to work in a collaborative and matrix environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter with a solid work ethic and a desire to go the extra mile
- Proficient at building relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency with PowerPoint
- Interest or solid experience in leading B2B business development activity
- Experience conducting sales or business development outreach to prospects is preferred
- Understanding of Salesforce or other CRM platforms is preferred
- Travel up to 20% of the time
Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA)
- Regular and reliable job attendance
- Exhibit respect and understanding of others to maintain professional relationships
- Independent judgement in evaluation options to make sound decisions
- In office/open office environment with the ability to work effectively surrounded by moderate noise
AARP observes Mondays and Fridays as telecommuting workdays, except for essential functions. Remote work and telecommuting can only be done within the United States and its territories. Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others. Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.