Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Data Science Manager - Community Impact & Investment
External Affairs works with many external and internal stakeholders to envision and create a world of greater socioeconomic opportunity through advocating for an inclusive society, building thriving communities, and creating financial tools that enrich lives. Our teams include Communications, Community Impact and Investment, Community Finance, CRA Strategy and Program Management, the Government and Political Affairs Group, Regulatory Relations, and Strategy and Engagement. Through our teams, we have unparalleled access to a diverse group of motivated changemakers similarly focused on the ingredients for a more perfect future.
Our approach involves focusing on innovation and opportunity related to long term well being for our associates, customers, and communities. On the intersection between business and social impact. On disruption and dreaming of a better way. This is the language of changing things for the better. Of Capital One. As a Data Scientist, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies. Team Description:
The Community Impact and Investment Team "CII" contributes to a visible brand reputation that enables Capital One's business strategy and creates impactful community outcomes through:
- Fueling strategic community investments (e.g. grants, skills, loans)
- Delivering insights, advice and resources that inform Capital One's products and services
- Activating the capabilities of "impact forward" associates
- Leading enterprise volunteerism and fostering community relationships
- Conducting market research and advising various stakeholders
CII is kicking off a multiyear transformation to increasingly align business strategy and social impact; launch new, different, and more holistic approaches to investing in our communities; use Capital One's volunteer time and talent in increasingly strategic ways; and use data, analytics, research, and inclusive design to inform more targeted and actionable consulting to our business partners on topics related to a broad view of financial inclusion.
Within CII, we have Capital One's Insights Center which is a nascent cross-functional platform for data and dialogue which produces insights that advance equity and inclusion. The Center's research is focused on creating a more inclusive society, building thriving communities and developing financial tools that enrich lives. This involves coverage of topics across the policy ecosystem, including racial equity, financial health and inclusion, inclusive growth, affordable housing, and many other related topics.
The Manager, Data Science will work collaboratively with an multidisciplinary team to address real-world problems leveraging the power of data. In this role, you will work on complex applied research projects with the ability to perform in any phase of a project from design to implementation. You will produce objective, scientific analyses and technical reports rooted in data science to guide decision makers on a diverse set of issues. The ideal candidate will bring conceptualization expertise, policy research, applied data science and the ability to tell a compelling story through the synthesis of quantitative and qualitative insights. In this role, you will:
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Build cutting edge data-products and pipelines to produce novel data that can help tackle pressing issues from a new angle.
- Work at the intersection of data science, technology, and public policy to create new datasets, produce novel analyses, and publish materials that help to provide timely, reliable data and research necessary to inform social impact solutions.
- Conceptualize research studies, and lead and direct multi-disciplinary teams along with demonstrated qualitative and/or quantitative skills.
- Set project standards and monitoring progress, and collaborate in the communication of research findings and results to external and internal audiences and stakeholders.
- Produce objective, scientific analyses and technical reports to guide decision makers on a diverse set of policy and social impact issues.
- Apply rigorous, empirical research designs to analyze a wide array of policy and social impact issues.
- Design, manage and conduct surveys for external research projects.
- Communicate interim and final research findings in a clear, concise, and actionable manner.
- Ensure research findings are rigorously fact-checked against internal and external sources and documented.
- Impact-driven. You dream big. You desire to make the world a better place, and you get energy from working with others with similar passions to accomplish big, bold goals.
- A leader. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You're passionate about talent development for your own team and beyond.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Technical. You're comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- A Conceptual Thinker with a strong quantitative orientation who appreciates that social impact is inherently complex so it requires an understanding of lived experience in addition to academic expertise.
- Wired for Collaboration and Connection: You thrive in a matrixed organization because you know that together we can do better. You're obsessed with building and cultivating relationships. You love the chance to share your perspective, to hear the perspectives of others, and to figure out how teams can collaborate.
- Bachelor's Degree plus 6 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree plus 4 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD plus 1 year of experience in data analytics
- At least 2 years' experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 2 years' experience with machine learning
- At least 2 years' experience with relational databases
- Master's Degree or PhD in Economics, Data Science, Social Science, Public Policy, Sociology, Psychology, OR a related field with advanced coursework in Statistics and Data Analysis
- At least 1 year of experience writing deliverables which include research findings for public audiences
- At least 1 year of experience managing production of deliverables for deadline-driven publications
- At least 1 year of experience in any of the following work environments: professional publisher, university, think tank, nonprofit organization, content studio, or newsroom
- At least 1 year of experience in any of the following fields: academic publishing, public policy, financial health, or economics
- At least 1 year of experience as a mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative) researcher
- At least 4 years' experience in Python, Scala, or R for large scale data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
- At least 4 years of experience with machine learning, natural language processing, web scraping or big data platforms
- At least 4 years' experience with SQL
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
Location is New York City: $197,400 - $225,300 for Mgr, Data Science
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).