Manager, Storage & Backup
Manager, Storage & Backup
Position #: 111385
The Manager for Storage and Backup Services reports to the Director of Platform Services within the Enterprise Engineering and Operations group within the Division of Information Technology (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park.
The Manager is responsible for leadership, vision, planning, and oversight of DIT Storage and Backup Services team, managing the set of enterprise storage and backup solutions for DIT and the campus community. The manager provides strategic direction and tactical oversight to the team and will serve as the lead on tactical execution of projects to provide a modern, intuitive, cost-effective, and secure backup and storage solutions to the campus.
The Manager leads a team of engineers and oversees support activities, daily task assignments, work schedules, status reporting, and mentoring activities for the group. This role will oversee the ongoing engineering, construction, and redesign/upgrade of any existing or new backup and storage solutions, both on-premises and in the cloud.
The position will advise technical and application development units in the Division of IT (and at times other campus technical units) regarding the strategic direction in Backup and Storage hardware System design. It will have project management, staff supervisory, and limited budget responsibilities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Must have at least 7 or more years of storage and backup system administration experience in an enterprise environment with proven direct hands-on responsibility.
- Must have at least 2 years of technical team and personnel management experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with Unix/Windows operating systems.
- Must be team-oriented with strong leadership skills and have demonstrated the ability to lead technical and non-technical teams. Must be energetic, self-motivated, highly responsible, and service-oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills are mandatory. Must work on multiple projects, adjust to occasional changes in priorities and respond efficiently and effectively in emergencies.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to assist, guide and share information with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Project management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related fields, preferable
- Masters’ degree
- 2 years or more of in architecture of storage and backup systems
- Fluency with cloud storage technologies
- Medical, dental], and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more…
Salary range $145,000-$155,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
The employee is also occasionally required to lift and carry materials up to 50 pounds in weight. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk and listen. The employee is occasionally required to walk and use hands to operate computers, objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
Requires on-call/on-site 24×7 availability
Best consideration date: 05/24/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/106958
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.