Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat is seeking a Principal Research Associate to focus on social science mixed methods quantitative and qualitative research projects for the federal government. The candidate should have a content focus in areas such as public health communications, survey design and development, consumer motivations, risk perceptions, decision-making, experimental design, and/or message testing with proven familiarity with social science mixed methods quantitative and qualitative analytic techniques (e.g., ANOVA, ANCOVA, linear and logistic regression, NVivo).
- Directing the design, execution, and interpretation of research across various quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
- Gathering and analyzing audience insights from primary and secondary data sources to guide the development of communication programs and campaigns.
- Translating research results into communication messages and products.
- Leading projects and teams in mixed methods qualitative and quantitative research.
- Presenting and writing about research findings to a variety of audiences to develop, improve, and evaluate communication materials and programs.
- Contributing knowledge and expertise in the social sciences (e.g., experimental social psychology, sociology) for various research efforts.
- Building new relationships with agencies, business partners and universities to support current and future work.
- Writing and leading technical proposals for government clients.
- A Master's in public health, social psychology, sociology, survey methodology, or social science-related field and a minimum of 8-10 years of experience including support of federal contracts.
- Demonstrated experience publishing manuscripts through the peer-review process and/or publishing in peer-review journals.
- Quantitative and qualitative research experience.
- Focus group moderation, cognitive testing, and usability testing experience.
- Mixed methods evaluation expertise
- Experience analyzing quantitative data using standard software packages (e.g., SPSS, SAS, or R) and/or qualitative data using NVivo.
- Experience managing federal contracts.
- Experience writing government proposals.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave (15 days of vacation per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days of vacation per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 floating holidays per year)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.