AARP Foundation works to end senior poverty by helping vulnerable people over 50 build economic opportunity. Our approach emphasizes equitable outcomes for populations that have faced systemic discrimination. We serve all people 50 plus and their families. Through vigorous legal advocacy and evidence-based solutions, and by building supportive community connections, we foster resilience, advance equity and restore hope.
The Executive Writer leads the development of content for internal and external publications, speeches, remarks, and digital platforms for the AARP Foundation President. Collaborates with both program and research teams to generate new and compelling content designed with a focus on platform and audience. Keeps abreast of the latest economic and social sector trends to generate new insights about the work of and issues facing AARP Foundation. Collaborates with the Foundation President to identify opportunities and strategic content plans that will position the organization for success. Responsibilities
- Leads the creation of authoritative and trustworthy content for digital, print, and other
platforms that appeals to the 50+ demographic and amplifies the organization's social
- Ensures that content is high-quality, adheres to publishing and digital best practices,
enhances the user experience, and is presented in innovative and compelling ways.
- Collaborates with senior management and internal stakeholders to develop short and
long-term content strategies that help grow impact, relevance, and revenue.
- Employs digital analytics tools and other resources to develop an in-depth
understanding of the 50+ audience. Analyzes content performance and identifies
opportunities for sustainable growth of the organization's existing and emerging
- Builds and maintains constructive and productive partnerships with internal and
external stakeholders. Stays abreast of new initiatives, campaigns, programs, and research.
- Monitors major developments and news of interest to the 50+ audience and acts as a
key decision-maker on content priorities.
- Oversees, guides, and manages internal and external content contributors.
- Bachelor's degree (Focus in English, Journalism, Public Relations preferred); Masters or MBA preferred.
- 6 or more years' experience developing media and or content for public and internal consumption.
- Experience writing for senior leaders to include executive or elected officials in the public sector
- Experience writing for different media outlets and formats: print, digital, blog, speeches, public remarks, social media.
- Experience writing for multiple audiences, distilling complicating concepts and data into compelling content.
- Engagement/active in local chapter of Toast Masters or similar organization is preferred.
Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA)
- Regular and reliable job attendance
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit respect and understanding of others to maintain professional relationships
- Independent judgement in evaluation options to make sound decisions
- In office/open office environment with the ability to work effectively surrounded by moderate noise
AARP observes Mondays and Fridays as telecommuting workdays, except for essential functions. Remote work and telecommuting can only be done within the United States and its territories. Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others. Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.