Journal Operations Manager
1 day left
- American Society for Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- Rockville, Maryland
- $75-95K + Benefits
- Apr 30, 2023
- Jun 04, 2023
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) seeks an experienced professional to serve as their Journals Operations Manager.
ASPET is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work in academia, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. ASPET members conduct research leading to the development of new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
Primary Function: Oversee ASPET’s four journal editorial and production operations. Supervise Peer Review Coordinators to ensure timely and accurate publication of each journal. Train Editors and Associate Editors. Work closely with the Director of Publications and Journal Editors to meet the goals and objectives of the department and ASPET. Provide oversight and recommend next steps on author misconduct cases. In addition, the manager supports the Director of Publications in planning and execution of special projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning & Operations:
- Manages the peer review process by ensuring efficient and effective operation.
- Provides oversight and recommends next steps on author misconduct cases. Coordinates responses to allegations of author misconduct with the Editor, Director of Publications, Publications Committee Chair, and others while following ASPET guidelines and industry best practices.
- Reviews and provides feedback on Note Added in Proof statements and Corrections prepared by Peer Review Coordinators. Prepares and provides text for Notices of Concern, and Retractions, when necessary.
- Identifies opportunities for peer review process efficiencies and works with the online manuscript system vendor to implement changes approved by the Director of Publications.
- Provides technical support to online manuscript system users, including authors, reviewers, editors, and staff. Troubleshoot issues when necessary.
- Monitors timeliness and quality of work performed by the compositor to ensure timely and accurate content publication. Troubleshoot as needed.
- Supports the Director of Publications, Editors in Chief, and others to assess, define, and oversee the implementation of new initiatives that will lead to the growth in the journals. Supports the Publications Director and the Membership and Marketing teams on journal promotion initiatives. Reviews the journals’ websites and makes recommendations for corrections and updates; implements approved changes.
- Runs weekly staff meetings providing information on upcoming events and deadlines, new ASPET policies such as COVID, etc., vendor and journal initiatives and issues, and encourages team participation and discussion. Oversees the Peer Review Coordinators in their daily operations of four journals. Ensures and plans coverage during their absence. Identifies areas for Peer Review Coordinators’ development and provides training opportunities in technical and managerial skills in journal oversight. Provides regular feedback on work.
- Works with Peer Review Coordinators to prepare and keep current, online system training materials. Screens, interviews, and makes recommendations to hire Peer Review Coordinators.
EICs and Editorial Board Support:
- Facilitates the smooth transition of new Editors and Editorial Advisory Board members, providing a live training demo and guidelines of the peer review process and their role in the online system. Provides new Editors with an additional meeting(s) to go over journal policies and procedures, including special features such as Special Sections, Highlighted Trainee Authors, Editor’s Choice articles, Annual Meetings, etc. Schedules monthly meetings with the Editors to provide statistics on journal activities, updates on initiatives, discuss agenda items for quarterly Editor and annual meetings, etc. Works with Editors each year to review editorial board rosters and recruits new board members as needed. Maintains updated journal editorial board rosters and ensures the information included on the journal websites is accurate and up to date. Prepares quarterly journal newsletters to keep editorial boards informed of upcoming meetings, new board members, online system tips, etc. Produces presentations and reports for annual journal reports, quarterly editorial board meetings, Editors, and the Director of Publications as needed. Provides minutes of those meetings. Works with eJournalPress to understand EJP basic reporting functionalities, such as reports for submission counts, decision times, countries of origin, etc. Works with Editors in Chief and Associate Editors on submission, production, and scheduling of Special Sections and posting Highlighted Trainee Author winners and Editor Choice articles, etc.
- Assists with support of the Publications Committee, including taking meeting notes, preparing minutes, and preparing agenda materials when needed. Participates in publishing industry meetings, such as SSP and CSE, and vendor annual meetings; and participates in webinars on topics relevant to ASPET publications programs. Updates website HTML content as needed. Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in a similar position with a Scientific journal is required Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to adhere to publication guidelines, procedures, and schedules Competent knowledge of publication ethics Excellent interpersonal skills, including presentation and collaboration skills Excellent verbal and written communication skills Strong MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, databases, and manuscript tracking software Supervisory experience with the ability to work as a team and motivate team members Competent in updating website HTML content
This position is a full-time, exempt position, offering a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; holidays; annual and sick leave; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending account; life and short- and long-term disability insurance.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and within walking distance to the Metro and on major bus lines. ASPET currently operates on a flexible work schedule with options for teleworking; some in-office time is required.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send the following required information to be considered: a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
If an accommodation is needed to complete the application process, please contact ASPET/FASEB’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.