The Science Instructional Specialist will coordinate the processes for developing the school division's 6-12 science curriculum aligned to the Virginia Standards of Learning in science. This individual will develop and monitor the implementation of the 6-12 science budget, including ensuring that all required science materials, kits, and equipment are available in every science classroom. An important aspect of this position involves coaching and giving feedback to 6-12 science instructors, including designing and implementing appropriate professional development in middle and high school science.
This job reports to the Executive Director of Instructional Support.
This is a 12 month-240 day position.QualificationsEducation:
Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.Certificates & Licenses:
Valid Virginia Department of Education postgraduate professional teaching license required, or the ability to obtain one. Experience:
Five years of public school teaching experience.Essential FunctionsCurriculum Design and Development:
- Facilitates the development of a suggested scope and sequence and related lesson sequence for each grade level of the 6-12 science curriculum guides.
- Coordinates the design and development of 6-12 science curriculum guides (comprehensive course sequence), lesson plans, and related instructional tools.
- Coordinates the design and development of secondary science Honors curriculum guides.
- Coordinates the design and development of science secondary elective course curriculum guides.
- Supports the development of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) units for the high school STEM academy.
- Leads the development and implementation of science-based Summer Learning programs for secondary students.
- Leads the planning, support, and implementation of middle school and high school science competitions including school-level competitions and the ACPS Science and Engineering Fair.
Assessment and Progress Monitoring:
- Provides coordination and oversight of STEM programs at the high school and middle school levels.
- Coordinates support and field experiences designed to extend and refine students' understanding of the written curriculum in science.
- Provides ongoing professional learning to ensure fidelity of implementation of the written curriculum in all science classes, courses, and grade levels.
- Provides ongoing modeling and demonstration lessons, coaching, and mentoring to all 6-12 science instructors, including supporting teachers new to the division to ensure their use of research-based best practices.
- Develops and implements ongoing professional learning in 6-12 science to ensure fidelity of curriculum implementation and instructional and assessment practices aligned with Virginia Standards of Learning.
- Conducts non-evaluative walkthroughs focused on science classroom "look-fors."
Budget and Materials Management:
- Leads the development of formative assessment tools and summative assessments for 6-12 science
- Analyzes data related to student performance in 6-12 science to ensure effective progress monitoring of student achievement in all SOL Science Strands.
Communication and Interpersonal Competencies:
- Develops and monitors the implementation of the 6-12 science budget.
- Ensures that all required resources (print and non-print; science equipment, etc.) are available in every school to support effective implementation of the written curriculum in science.
- Demonstrates a high degree of competency in all communication skills areas, including writing, speaking, and presenting.
- Assumes other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Central Office Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: