This position directly aligns equity initiatives with the ACPS Strategic Plan 2025's vision, mission and core values to support the goal of Equity for All. The specialist will work in collaboration with the Office of Equity team to support the planning, implementation and evaluation of the division's equity and anti-racism initiatives and instructional practices.
The Equity and Inclusion Specialist works in the Department of Student Services and Equity (DSSE) under the direction of the Director of Equitable Practices and in collaboration with DSSE staff. The Equity and Inclusion Specialist will be responsible for providing direct support, accountability and coaching to schools.The primary areas of responsibility include, and are not limited to, supporting students' social and emotional well-being and learning through the enhancement of student voice, agency and the respect of differences; and, supporting systemic change that will engage, ignite and inspire students through advocacy, resources dissemination, advising, mentoring and professional learning for students and staff with the goal of eliminating policies and practices that result in disparate outcomes for students and families served by Alexandria City Public Schools.
There is a need to support students social and emotional well-being and learning in relation to student voice, agency and respecting each others differences to enhance student engagement and preparation to learn and educe the learning loss. The Equity and Inclusion Specialist position will support, encourage and enhance student agency and voice and within the classroom and in the school community. Recognizing that students were socially isolated viewing a racially intensified rift and trauma of race relations in this Nation in the midst of a medical pandemic. There is a need to support students social and emotional well-being and learning in relation to student voice, agency and respecting each others differences to enhance student engagement and preparation to learn and thereby educing the learning loss.
This position will collaborate to provide support to site based staff to include equity liaisons, division equity team members and school-based equity teams The specialist will provide site-based coaching and mentorship specifically designed for increasing relevant, engaging and sustaining inclusive content and practices. QualificationsEducation:
Bachelor's degree in education or teacher certification required
. Master's degree preferred
. Diversity, equity and inclusion training and certifications preferred. Experience:
Minimum 5 years of progressive expertise in education as a teacher or/and educational specialist; knowledge of city agencies; experience working in an urban school division; and a strong knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion in education. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of policy, practices and trends regarding educational equity and inclusion
- Knowledge of the evolution of equity concepts and characteristics
- Ability to develop and facilitate training sessions designed to focus on equity initiatives
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize best practices to meet the needs of the division's equity priorities
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities
- Knowledge of social, emotional and academic learning (SEAL)
- Ability to analyze data and provide alternative solutions to technical and adaptive challenges
- Ability to implement continuous improvement
- Knowledge of community agencies and business that support equity
- Proven analytical skills
- Ability to assess policies and practices which promote culturally responsive and equitable environments for students and staff
- Collaborates with the Office of Equity staff including the Mental Health Specialist, PBIS Coordinator, Practices Coordinator Equity Coordinator and the Director of Equitable Practices .
- Support the development and implementation of continuous data collection, analysis and appropriate metrics that provide continuous assessment of programs and initiatives effectiveness and impact.
- Supports schools and departments to accomplish the division's vision, mission and core values.
- Provides assistance coaching and consultation of equitable practices and culturally responsive teaching competencies.
- Conducts research and maintains a current knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion in education.
- Serves as the liaison and supports equity focused student groups.
- Serves as a representative on Alexandria City commissions and community groups.
- Provides parent and community consultations as needed.
- Collaborates to identify and/or creates effective assessment metrics to determine the impact of equity initiatives within schools and across the division
- Conducts professional learning for ACPS staff and students.
- Collaborates to design division equity plan aligned to the ACPS Strategic Plan goals and key performance indicators
- Collaborates to develop and facilitate equity focused programs and events for students, families and ACPS staff.
- Collaborates on the revisions and supports the execution of division-wide multi-year equity professional learning plans
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Equity and Alternative Programs and the Chief of Student Services and Equity.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Central Office Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: