Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Bowie State University
- Bowie, Maryland
- Apr 25, 2023
- May 30, 2023
- Full Time
Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Bowie State University
Job Posting Number
Duties and Responsibilities
Deputy Title IX Coordinator will assist with case management and establishment of new University compliance strategies and programs as required by Title IX of the Higher Education Act of 1972. They will serves as the initial investigator of complaints of sex discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct as they impact students, faculty, and staff pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as Amended, and other state and federal equal opportunity/affirmative action laws and related university policies.
As Deputy Title IX Coordinator, the professional will assess complaints and incidents reported to the Office of Equity Compliance to determine which of the University’s policies, if any, govern the matter. Additionally, the Deputy Title IX Coordinator will, with oversight from the Title IX Coordinator, train the community on current laws and processes governing sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct, and maintain and/or develop office data systems for tracking and analyzing case management and training activities.
To reach these goals, the Deputy Title IX Coordinator:
- Processes and assists Complainants with the filing of Title IX and other sex-based discrimination complaints
- Explains the University’s resources for support and assistance to both complainants and respondents during the investigative proceeding
- Develops and implements a case management plan for each reported incident and investigation
- Conducts investigations of complaints in a prompt, thorough and fair manner, to include collecting evidence, sending notices to the participants, interviewing participants, drafting reports and other investigative duties
- Maintains a database of incidents of sexual misconduct
- Provides comprehensive training and outreach to the campus community regarding laws and policies for equal employment opportunity, harassment, discrimination under both Title IX and Title VII
- Oversees the administration of on-line mandatory sexual assault training for students, faculty and staff
- Prepares, maintains and reviews data records pertaining to trainings
- Maintains current knowledge of developments in civil rights law and policies, and best practices for Title IX policy implementation specifically
- Stays abreast of policy and procedural changes that will affect the scope or practice of case management, as well as complete training and professional development related to Title IX and applicable laws, policies and regulations
- Attending local and regional meetings and training opportunities with the Title IX coordinator
- Participates in investigation team or work group meetings; prepares and assembles materials for use at such meetings, such as case status updates
- Identifies and reports to Title IX Coordinator trends or patterns in case data and prepares regularly scheduled, detailed reports
- Demonstrates ability to handle complex situations, including responding to parties in a sensitive and informed manner, ably tracks multiple cases, meets various deadlines, maintains neutrality, works well under stress and performs duties impartially and confidentially throughout the investigation process.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required.
3-5 years of related experience and/or training to the essential duties and responsibilities that demonstrate a clear understanding of Title IX and related compliance issues is required. Three or more years of progressively responsible experience in a legal, student conduct, student life, or human resources capacity is proffered.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Experience with working with Title IX regulatory requirements is strongly preferred. Demonstrated ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential matters with discretion, tact, and neutrality is required. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Must also have excellent interpersonal skills, balanced, independent judgement, and work effectively with a diverse population of students and employees at all levels. Strong research, analytical and organizational skills required, including but not limited to computer skills using the Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Experience with presenting, training, advising, or consulting required. Conflict resolution and mediation skills strongly preferred. Must demonstrate initiative and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with strict deadlines.
Proficient skill in writing concise, analytical and cogent reports or papers (as demonstrated by the required writing sample) is also required.
Conditions of Employment
Occasional participation in evening educational events may be required.
Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations are encouraged but not required for eligible faculty and staff employed by Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to change.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.