Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history. All of your application materials, which may include PDF files of work samples and/or links to audio, video, photography or graphics, must be uploaded to the field labeled Resume/Cover Letter/Work Samples to be considered for the position.Job Description
The Washington Post is seeking a creative, hyper-organized producer to scale our YouTube channel. The ideal candidate will be a fast, thoughtful video editor with experience developing, assigning and optimizing video and metadata and a strong track record managing channel growth on YouTube.
The ability to edit video in a compelling way for platform-specific audience expectations and trends is a must - as is the ability to teach others. This YouTube producer/editor will work across the Video department to understand and track all content on the platform and optimize its presentation in the service of building new audiences for Post journalism. They will also work closely with The Post's social video teams, as well as desks and reporters across the newsroom, to drive experimentation at all levels.
The ideal candidate will be at the forefront of what distributed video looks like today, and how we can best harness this to share The Post's reporting and expertise. This hire is part of efforts to better serve the next generation of Post readers and subscribers.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years' experience managing video assignment or distribution in a high-pressure, deadline-driven environment. Strong news judgment, expertise in search and SEO best practices, and a record of excellence in new media, social media and emerging platforms are essential. The candidate must be a fast, proficient video editor familiar with the styles and formats of social. They must closely track the latest editing trends. The role also calls for expertise in finding, placing and surfacing compelling video. Most important- the position requires a team player who enjoys working across departments and assignments.Responsibilities:
- Directly manage the distribution of all Post-created and -licensed video content on YouTube.
- Develop content strategy for the main Post channel, including live, video-on-demand and Shorts offerings.
- Develop and produce videos designed for YouTube.
- Work with video team members to optimize videos, headlines, metadata and thumbnails for YouTube.
- Enforce standards for technical and editorial video quality.
- Create and advise on the creation of any assets needed for off-site promotion.
- Initiate and maintain strong relationships with YouTube.
- Gather and prioritize technical requirements from YouTube, with an eye toward streamlining technical work.
- Continually monitor video analytics to inform decision making and alter strategy to maximize audience growth.
- Manage YouTube video performance against video KPIs.
- Attend daily and weekly video team meetings to track story ideas and coordinate coverage.
- Attend newsroom-wide meetings to identify story opportunities for video.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least three years' experience managing, producing and editing videos for YouTube, preferably for a national audience.
- Proficiency in editing video in a variety of formats.
- Experience in YouTube analytics.
- Must have strong writing skills and the ability to write and edit in Post style.
- Expertise in social media and social video tools, online analytics tools and content management/publishing systems.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be an effective communicator.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented team player.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Driven to create and lead best-in-industry digital experiences and content.
- Able to work all shifts.
Candidates should upload a résumé and a cover letter detailing channel management experience to our jobs portal. All application materials can be uploaded to the same field. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but those received by 04/28/2023 will be prioritized. Your cover letter should be addressed to Lauren Saks.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
Ever wondered if what you are doing will Impact Tomorrow
? At The Washington Post
, every employee shapes the way we deliver the news. Find the career that's right for you