Serves as a technical expert, plans and directs capital renewal and non-capital projects and construction activities for one or more of the following fields: HVAC, electrical, elevator, energy and sustainability, structural, space renovations, and/or building envelope systems. Works u nder the guidance and general direction of the Assistant Director of Design, Engineering and Construction and/or Engineer IV
Specifically, provides senior level leadership and is responsible for the overall development and management of large scale and/or multiple complex capital and non-capital projects for and in occupied spaces or development and management of cross-functional capital renewal projects for and in occupied spaces that require working with all department and/or county levels and groups specific to the project design and implementation to address specific business needs.
Ensures the timely completions of projects assigned, consistent with quality standards of the Facilities Management Department and industry standards, as well as, ensuring projects are financially and operationally viable and completed in a cost-efficient manner. Serves as a technical expert and provide engineering review and approval for commercial conveying system, building envelop, life safety, structural, energy and sustainability, and civil projects to include impacting functions such as HVAC, electrical and generator as well as, structural and engineering. May be responsible for the supervision of subordinate Construction Project Manager I staff.Note:
This position is designated an essential employee.
Multiple positions may be hired from this announcement.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Knowledge of topographic and construction surveying;
- Knowledge of common methods and equipment used in building, maintenance and facility construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work;
- Knowledge of real property descriptions;
- Knowledge of the Public Facilities Manual, the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the codes and ordinances which apply to building construction and land disturbing activities in Fairfax County;
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to construction project management and contract administration;
- Knowledge of Fairfax County Purchasing Resolution and agency-specific A/E contracting requirements;
- Ability to negotiate contracts and amendments;
- Ability to enforce contractual specifications;
- Ability to plan, monitor, direct and coordinate the work of a multi-disciplinary team(s) and/or subordinates;
- Ability to review construction documents and proposals for cost evaluation and compatibility with County standards, guides and operational needs;
- Ability to work effectively with construction contractors, design professionals, engineers, code enforcement and zoning personnel;
- Ability to prepare technical reports and to present findings in a clear and concise format;
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with the public, senior County and State officials and citizen groups;
- Ability to coordinate, conduct and facilitate meetings with public groups, citizens and other project stakeholders;
- Ability to use a computer for word processing, preparation of spreadsheets, e-mail, and presentation materials.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Environmental or Life Sciences, Construction Management, Business Administration, Facilities Management or related; PLUS
Five years of experience in the management of large and complex construction or maintenance projects to include two years managing multi-disciplinary teams with multiple contractors. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Five or more years' demonstrated history as the lead project manager directly responsible and accountable for the design and construction for the replacement of full commercial building systems in occupied buildings greater than 100,000 gross sq. ft. per building to include low rise and high rise (5 stories of more) buildings. Projects must include building envelope, life safety systems, conveying systems, interior renovations, civil, and structural elements.
Five or more years demonstrated history in the full performance responsibility for a portfolio of complex commercial building systems replacement projects in occupied commercial facilities including but not limited to: development of contracts, authoring scope of work, financial oversight, submittal approval, RFI responses, construction quality, safety performance, oversight of quality metrics and quality performance, contractor selection and oversight, oversight of project documentation and project schedule, and risk mitigation.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A valid driver's license required.
Possession of Certified Construction Manager (CCM) certification by Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) or ability to obtain certification within one year of appointment for certain positions.
Possession of Certified Facility Manager (CFM) certification by International Facility Management Association (IFMA) or ability to obtain certification within one year of appointment for certain positions.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must be able to access facility equipment and equipment rooms. Ability to climb ladders, access tight spaces, crawl, reach, lift 25 lbs., push 25 lbs., etc. Must be able to communicate by phone. Must be mobile. Vision to see detail drawings, construction and discern color. Must communicate with others verbally and in writing. Dexterity to use hand tools. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee of this position is required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include a practical exercise.
This job announcement is listed with a closing date of July 14, 2023
, and interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process may close prior to the currently advertised closing date when the position has been filled.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov