Senior Therapist - Adult Behavioral Health Position Overview:
Are you searching for a position with purpose; a position that allows you to share your expertise in psychotherapy; a position that challenges you? Are you passionate about helping persons with behavioral health challenges transform their lives and achieve recovery? If so, the Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS) is hiring for positions in our Outpatient Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Treatment Teams, as well as our Adult Jail Services Treatment Team. We are a department dedicated to not only serving our clients and families but also, dedicated to supporting and valuing our staff. We provide extensive development and learning initiatives, a competitive wage and benefits package, and the facilitation of advanced clinical trainings and career advancement opportunities.Examples of Duties:
Three Treatment Areas: Outpatient Mental Health Treatment:
- Provides evidence-based individual and group psychotherapy with adults
- In collaboration with the client, formulates treatment plans in accordance with the clients’ strengths, preferences, and needs
- Provides diagnostic assessments and referral services
- Provides crisis intervention services, as needed
- Provides care coordination or case management services for clients who present with multi-service needs and co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders
- Documents clinical work in the Electronic Health Record in accordance with State, City, Departmental and Federal requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned
Outpatient Substance Use Disorder Treatment:
- Clinical services in this team are delivered to clients with a mental health diagnosis, including co-occurring (MH, SUD, or ID/DD) diagnoses.
- The Senior Therapist conducts individual and group psychotherapy, diagnostic assessments, crisis intervention and case management services; may also conduct clinical intake services.
- Clinical services in this team are delivered to clients with a substance use disorder, including a co-occurring (MH and SUD) diagnosis.
- The Senior Therapist conducts individual and group psychotherapy, crisis intervention and case management services; may also conduct clinical intake services.
What we are looking for:
- Clinical services in this team are delivered to clients with a mental health, substance use or co-occurring disorder. All treatment services are delivered to clients incarcerated at the Adult Detention Center.
- The Senior Therapist conducts individual and group psychotherapy, crisis intervention and case management services, clinical intake services, crisis intervention, pre-screening of clients for admission to State psychiatric hospitals, and consultations to Detention Center staff and other agencies.
The ideal candidate has thorough knowledge of individual and group behavior including knowledge of diagnostic and treatment approaches related to mental health, substance use and co-occurring disorders; experience conducting diagnostic assessments and individual and group therapy with adults; ability to use an electronic medical record, and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing with other professionals and with the public.Who we are:
As a member of the Division of Clinical and Emergency Services, you will work alongside professionals who are passionate about providing top-notch clinical services to adults with behavioral health disorders. We’re dedicated to helping our clients achieve their goals and also, dedicated to supporting and valuing our staff. We are a community of lifelong learners who collaborate, challenge and support each other to advance our clinical knowledge and skills, and help our clients achieve the best outcomes.What we offer you:
In addition to an awesome group of people to work with, the City of Alexandria offers great benefits!
As a full-time employee of the City of Alexandria, the following are available to you:
- Health Insurance
- Tuition Assistance and Professional Development
- Employee Transportation Benefits Program
- Virginia Retirement System
- Paid Annual and Sick Leave/Sick Leave Bank
- Paid City Holidays
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Spring Health Mental Health Services
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
The Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS) is also a qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Use the following link to access the PSLF website and learn about this program in detail: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service . Minimum & Additional Requirements
Possession of Master’s degree in Social Work, Mental Health Counseling, Psychology, Education or related field; at least two years of post-graduate work experience in providing direct clinical services to consumers having one or more substance use, psychiatric, and emotional disorders; and licensure or license eligible (has completed all required education and supervision as required by applicable board) as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner (LSATP) or Clinical Psychologist in the Commonwealth of Virginia at the time of appointment; if license eligible, the employee must obtain Virginia licensure at the first available opportunity, but no later than one year after appointment; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Employees must possess a valid driver's license issued by the state of their residence if they are in a position with driving responsibilities. Preferred Qualifications
Three years post-master’s experience providing direct clinical services for substance use, and/or mental health issues; knowledge of mental health exam, and mental health classification/DSM-V; At least one year of employment in a mental health community agency environment. Currently licensed as an LCSW or Clinical psychologist in Virginia at the time of appointment; Bilingual in English / Spanish. Notes
These positions require the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to: FBI/Federal Records Check, VA State Child Abuse/Neglect Registry; Medicare/Medicaid Fraud Database; education/certifications; and driver’s license. Flexible Hybrid Schedule (On-site and Telehealth)
Hours vary depending on position; most positions afford opportunities for a hybrid work setting of on-site and telework.
Please submit an application if interested in any of the three areas listed in this job ad. All applicants will be screened per the minimum requirements and hiring managers will assess who is best fit per the needs across the three areas and the candidate skills and experience.