Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat has an immediate opening in our Clinical Research Practice for a Senior Epidemiologist/Senior Research Associate to join our team of leading researchers conducting epidemiological, clinical, and translational research on infectious diseases including COVID-19, influenza, and other respiratory diseases and/or HIV. As a Senior Epidemiologist/Senior Research Associate, you will lead and support multi-site network studies on infectious diseases, and collaborate and consult with external investigators and internal project team members on designing and implementing research studies. You will provide epidemiology and data management support including developing protocols, overseeing, and conducting data management and analysis for Westat projects to support and contribute to scientific peer reviewed publications.
• Responsible for all stages of research and surveillance projects from protocol development through data collection, analysis, and reporting.
• Support study design to include refining protocols, data dictionaries and data collection plans.
• Manage project budgets, developing technical, staffing, and cost proposals.
• Conduct data cleaning and analysis on large, multi-site datasets.
• Keep the project on schedule and within budget.
• Leadership role in business development, client relationship management and writing proposals.
• Review work and provide technical guidance to early career staff.
• Demonstrated ability to present and speak at professional meetings and contribute to publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Master's Degree in Epidemiology, Public Health or equivalent and 8 years of experience or a PhD with 2-4 years of experience.
- Experience managing project budgets, developing technical, staffing and cost proposals.
- Experience with R and/or SAS.
- Experience drafting statistical analysis plans and conducting/overseeing analysis.
- Experience collecting and analyzing data from Electronic Medical Records, claims and other administrative data sources and primary sources (agencies, individuals).
- Experience working in a contracting environment supporting federal and/or commercial clients
Other Required Qualifications:
- Demonstrated communication skills;
- Collaboration with teams, managers and/or clients;
- Detail oriented;
- Organization skills, including time management ability
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave (15 days per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 floating holidays)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.