Senior Specialist, Climate Communications - 23112
- WWF Washington, DC
- Washington D.C.
- Mar 29, 2023
- May 03, 2023
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- Full Time
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Specialist, Climate Communications
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Specialist, Climate Communications to support its climate team communications strategy. Under the direction of the Senior Director, Climate Communications, the Senior Specialist is responsible for designing and executing communications strategies for programs within the climate strategy, and for providing support for building WWF’s narrative and brand around climate with donors, partners, and the public through the creation of communications materials for WWF channels and for social, digital, and traditional media.
- Responsible for designing and executing communications strategies to support key programs that are part of WWF’s climate strategy, particularly around our climate finance, carbon markets, and climate business network programming.
- Support the Sr. Director with the climate team’s thought leadership strategy by identifying appropriate communication platforms such as conferences, podcasts, videocasts, etc. for key senior staff.
- Drafts, and coordinates input, reviews, and approvals of a wide range of communications materials to support Sr. Vice President, including op-eds, talking points, messaging documents, web stories, blog posts and opinion pieces.
- Provides support to Sr. Director for overall climate strategy narrative and brand-building, developing communications products from concept to delivery, including social media collateral, video, blogs, brochures, reports, press releases, event programs and presentations.
- Advises and supports key social media strategies connected to the climate strategy, including overall program social media, thought leadership strategy for Sr. VP and other senior climate staff. This includes drafting language and creating content, scheduling posts, and designing and distributing toolkits.
- Represents the climate team interests within marketing department processes.
- Liaises with Marketing and other departments to manage information requests, content review, and other requests as needed to facilitate climate communications objectives and assist other goal teams and functions within WWF.
- Collaborates with other program staff and departments to coordinate project activities or to obtain and disseminate information.
- Interacts regularly with representatives of WWF-International, other WWF offices and associate organizations, coalition partners and consultants to further collaboration with the international WWF network on climate and energy work. Communicates with representatives of conservation organizations, universities, NGOs, corporations, and/or government agencies in furtherance of WWF partnerships, programs, and coalition work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and 6 to 8 years professional experience or 3 to 5 years with an advanced degree in communications, and/or comparable relevant experience.
- Knowledge of climate change, conservation, and/or international development issues is preferred. Specific expertise in climate finance, carbon markets and corporate sustainability is not necessary but will be highly valued.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required, including the ability to communicate complex issues both verbally and in written form.
- Understanding of how to build and execute communications strategies is required, experience doing so in a non-profit environment is preferred.
- Ability to set priorities, manage a multitude of details simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, and collaborate effectively in a matrixed team environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, and other creative software tools (Canva, WordPress) is preferred.
- Proficiency in a second language, especially Spanish, is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills requiring knowing when to use courtesy, tact and/or diplomacy to effectively communicate with all constituents.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Integrity, Respect & Collaboration
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular. Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable. Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement. Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23112 Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/V8mVQPCkpVA5mCXgT8nRl