Director of Wide Area Network Engineering
- University of Maryland
- College Park, Maryland
- Mar 28, 2023
- May 02, 2023
- Engineering, Technology and Software
- Full Time
Director of Wide Area Network Engineering
Position #: 123817
The Director is responsible for providing leadership support, vision, and planning for the engineering activities of the optical/switched/routed layers of the MAX regional network and enhanced services,, and the design, guidance, and implementation of the DNS root service.
This position provides managerial oversight for the operation and maintenance of the MAX all-optical 100G to 400G DWDM network, the DNS root service, and Quantum networking resources. The MAX network spans the mid-Atlantic region and currently encompasses 14 Points of Presence (PoPs) from Baltimore to Virginia.
Responsibilities include engineering and operations planning, design, costing, procuring, and implementation of current and next-generation infrastructures including maintenance and support for DWDM optical equipment, DNS root service, Quantum technologies, dark fiber, routers, switches, and physical plant. Additionally, the position will involve the architecture of the MAX ScienceDMZ facility and integrating forward-looking technologies of the MAX research infrastructure into production offerings.
Other responsibilities will include establishing strategic relationships with vendors; collaborating closely with Internet2, technology leaders in other Regional Optical Networks (RONs) and national networks, and peers across the University System of Maryland (USM), the State of Maryland, assessing and understanding the MAX participant community’s advanced cyberinfrastructure needs and collaborating with the associated regional and national networks; managing ten engineers; project planning and implementation; using advanced analytics, CRM data and business intelligence to increase efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of MAX services; instituting appropriate controls, processes, and best practices. This Director will be expected to attend and represent MAX at conferences, including Super Computing, Internet2, Quilt, and other related technology conferences and seminars.
- Bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Five years of people management experience.
- Ten years of progressive experience in Information Technology, with system experience in core networking design and implementation over the WAN.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate staff.
- Managerial skills in planning, organizing, evaluating, and delegating.
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing technical units, and experience with developing budgets.
- Ability to establish and implement a vision for the network engineering unit in a continuously changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Technical competency in the areas of high-performance networking and fiber optic infrastructure.
- A Master’s degree in Telecommunications, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Ability to develop and execute technology strategies and programs, and apply new and emerging technologies to the unit.
- Experience with DWDM optical equipment, HPC, DNS service, Quantum technologies, dark fiber, routers, switches, and physical plant.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, administrators, and constituents outside the University; and represent the University at local, state, regional, and national forums.
- Medical, dental , and vision coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more…
Salary range $173,000-$190,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms and communications equipment spaces. Some work may require moving and lifting heavy communications equipment.
Best consideration date: 04/17/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/105697
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.