The Superintendent, Construction Maintenance & Station Rehabilitation will provide oversight to midnight shift operations. Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Industrial engineering, or a related field
- In lieu of a Bachelor's Degree, a High School Diploma/GED and four (4) years of operations management experience overseeing construction, maintenance and repair of facilities, in addition to the experience stated below, will be considered
- Minimum seven (7), years of operations management experience, overseeing construction, maintenance and repair of facilities.
- Demonstrated management experience in the areas of maintenance of major complex facility components, systems, equipment, industrial environments, and collective bargaining.
- Experience in transit operations
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
The Superintendent, Construction Maintenance & Station Rehabilitation (CMSR) manages the program management, administration and supervision of construction-related improvements and repairs of WMATA facilities. The incumbent directs the CMSR branch, providing staff supervision and coordination and oversight and technical direction of multiple complex projects.
The incumbent coordinates closely with Rail managers, Bus managers, engineering staff, and other senior administrative and technical staff throughout WMATA, as well as with various public and governmental stakeholders doing business with WMATA. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ensures the attendance and successful passing of required safety training classes, and the understanding of requirements of established safety practices and maintenance guidelines for all CMSR staff. Encourages training on industry best practices for working safely and efficiently and ensures work is performed safely and industry best practices are implemented. Ensures that CMSR employees are equipped and use appropriate PPE for all affiliated job functions
- Manages, directs, schedules, and evaluates the CMSR activities, policies, procedures, and employees. Oversees the safe, effective and efficient implementation of the construction-related improvement and repair program for WMATA facilities. Provides technical direction to staff who perform CMSR activities, which include construction-trade tasks such as minor carpentry, painting, masonry, concrete and asphalt surfaces maintenance, locksmith services; and station rehabilitation activities which include pressure washing, painting, re-bronzing and replacing signs. Ensures work efforts coordinate/support the daily operation of WMATA assets and that equipment/tools are maintained and/or calibrated in an effective/efficient manner necessary for work progress.
- Supervises subordinate staff to include recommending applicant selection, disciplinary actions, resolution of grievances; assigning duties, directing work, approving leave requests and time sheets, and ensuring appropriate training is provided. Establishes work plans for subordinate staff against which they will be measured and conducts performance evaluations of subordinates based on these work plans. Discusses and resolves complaints and grievances with employees or their union representatives in accordance with sound employee relations practices and operating requirements.
- Develops, implements and manages detailed program plans and budget requirements for the execution of each program component, ensuring conformance to overall program plans and Authority policies and objectives.
- Ensures the development and provisioning of contingency plans in the event of an emergency and that properly trained personnel are scheduled accordingly, to prioritize, reschedule, manage, direct and oversee the work affiliated with other tasks during such events. Ensures WMATA facilities are adequately maintained and in safe, operational condition and the availability of appropriate equipment on a timely basis for the effective restoration of the system to normal operations.
- Prepares and delivers concise, authoritative written or oral reports or briefings regarding work performance, goals, trends and budget adherence.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and organizations with whom communication and cooperation is required. Supports the department leadership in other related tasks as required. Responds effectively and timely to inquiries made by Authority organizations.
- Supports emergency response efforts by providing immediate maintenance support to ensure safety of WMATA patrons and employees, as well as to protect WMATA assets. Responds to and helps during severe weather emergencies.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.