RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will inspect, test, adjust, repair and install high voltage systems and equipment such as circuit breakers, disconnect switches, transformers, grounding systems, poles, relays, lightening arrestors, and cathodic protection systems.
- You will install and maintain overhead and underground distribution lines.
- You will splice cables, form and seal cable joints, bend and ground cable.
- You will install wire or cable transmission lines from power plant or public utility supply point to buildings, substations, and other locations of transformation or use.
- You will set proper wire tension or sag in accordance with strength and weight of wire, length of span, and wire contraction and expansion under temperature changes.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver?s license.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is 1) Incumbent inspects, repairs and witnesses tests on high voltage electrical equipment, devices, components and systems installed and maintained at various naval bases to determine technical compliance with specifications, plans, orders, directives, and national electrical code requirements. 2) Incumbent is required to inspect work performed during installations, repairs, removals, and on maintenance being performed on electrical distribution systems throughout the PWD zones. 3) Incumbent is required to work in close harmony with other electricians in installing new construction and performing maintenance amid repair jobs on electrical distribution systems. 4) Incumbent must determine nature of maintenance and repair needed and is responsible for knowing and judging effects that alterations have on total systems.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=Overview
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Additional information
This announcement uses the Defense Industrial Base, Major Range and Test Facilities direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.