Job AnnouncementThis job opportunity is being re-announced. If you applied previously, you do not need to re-apply to be considered.
Performs general building maintenance duties which may involve all trades, including plumbing, electrical, carpentry and painting. Duties include the installation and repair of systems furniture, renovation of buildings, repair of roof systems, general maintenance of doors, windows, walls, and shelving. Further duties include:
- Provides installation and repair of work as it relates to plumbing and electrical systems and switches.
- Participates in preventive maintenance as assigned.
- Recommends design and suggests change for the betterment of the work area and/or work functions.
- Serves as lead technician for trades crew that consists of carpenters and general building maintenance workers.
- Performs other maintenance duties as requested.
This job announcement may be used to fill multiple full-time General Building Maintenance Worker II vacancies. Employment StandardsEMPLOYMENT STANDARDS:
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; plus completion of an acceptable apprentice-level training program in a specific trade with two years of full performance-level experience in building maintenance, repair and/or construction trades work; or three years of full performance level experience in two or more skilled trades related to building maintenance and repair work.
to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to"CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Flexible working schedule is required as well as overtime, call-back and on-call.
- This position is considered essential personnel and will be required to report to work during times designated countywide as approved for unscheduled leave regardless of the emergency situation (i.e., weather, transportation, other disaster).
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driving record check, and pre-employment medical evaluation to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Five years of experience in Commercial Carpentry and with general knowledge of interior finishes.
- Knowledge in other trades.
- Basic computer skills such as Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
Must be able to climb both step and extension ladders to various heights Must be able to lift up and carry up to 50 pounds with assistance of dolly, lift or staff. Must be able to stoop, bend and work in tiring/uncomfortable positions for extended periods of time. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include a practical exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov