Communications and Educational Outreach Coordinator
- American Foreign Service Association
- Washington D.C.
- 60,000-80,000 per year
- Mar 24, 2023
- Apr 16, 2023
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- Full Time
Coordinator, Communications and Educational Outreach
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent for the United States Foreign Service, seeks a Communications and Educational Outreach Coordinator to work within the communications department at its Washington, D.C. headquarters located at 2101 E St NW, Washington, DC. The position reports to the Manager of Outreach and Internal Communications and the Awards and Scholarships Manager. The position includes the option of flexible telework, but the incumbent must be in the office a minimum of 2 days a week. Applications will be accepted through April 16, 2023. The start date will be as soon as possible.
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA), created in 1924, is the professional association for the U.S. Foreign Service. AFSA 's members include active and retired Foreign Service officers and specialists primarily at the Department of State as well as at the U.S. Agency for International Development, the Foreign Agricultural Service, the Foreign Commercial Service, the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, and the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
AFSA is also a labor union, serving as the exclusive representative of members of the Foreign Service. AFSA negotiates with the management of the principal U.S. Government foreign affairs agencies on personnel policies and practices affecting members’ working conditions, and represents members in formal grievance proceedings, office of security and inspector general investigations, disciplinary proceedings, and EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) cases.
For more information about AFSA, please go to www.afsa.org.
Compensation and Benefits
- Annualized salary of $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 across 26 pay periods, depending on experience. Optional telework up to 3 days a week once onboarding has been fully completed. Full-time employees have access to a health care and retirement benefits package. Subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision insurance Disability (short and long), Life, and AD&D Insurance paid in full by AFSA. 401(k) and/or Roth 401(k) with up to 5% matching Paid Sick, Vacation and Parental leave.
The Position and Its Principal Responsibilities
The incumbent will support and report to the Manager of Outreach and Internal Communications and the Awards and Scholarships Manager. They will also work on general projects within the communications department as needed.
- Assist communications team in developing and implementing a communications strategy designed to further AFSA objectives. Update and maintain portions of AFSA’s website with an eye towards increasing community engagement. Oversee the drafting, scheduling, and sending of AFSA’s internal and external communications, including the Daily Media Digest, AFSAnet messages, and the internal staff newsletter. Assist with media relations and compile news and related to the Foreign Service for amplification through AFSA’s network. Assist the Communications Manager in administering HubSpot, managing data and contacts, and generating reports/analysis on messaging efficacy and reach. Work with Awards and Scholarships Manager to conduct market research and analyze the efficacy of various outreach initiatives. Help with the drafting and execution of marketing strategy for the HS Essay Contest. Assist in compiling and sorting applicants for the AFSA scholarship program and High School Essay Contest. Assist with the organizing and judging of AFSA Performance and Dissent Awards, Scholarships, and High School Essay Contest. Assist in preparing meeting materials and reports for AFSA Governing Board Committees. Help manage AFSA events including annual awards ceremonies, speaker events, memorial plaque, and other related activities. Assist in the generation of content and strategic planning for social media.
Required Skills and Characteristics
- High school diploma or equivalent required or +4 years of relevant experience. The ability to obtain and maintain a State Department badge. Must be experienced and comfortable running events via videoconferencing, including on both the Zoom and Microsoft Teams platforms. Must be able to lift 25lb
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Experience in or knowledge of the Foreign Service and plus.
- Superb oral and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills, to include email and phone. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Experience working with a database. Basic HTML coding knowledge. Proven knowledge of communications and marketing ethics and best practices
- Proficiency with email marketing software, including HubSpot, a plus.
- Proficiency with Community Force and Sales Force a plus. Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) a plus.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk working on a computer. Will occasionally need to move heavy equipment and furniture. Primary work location will be AFSA HQ located at 2101 E St NW, Washington DC 20037. The incumbent is required to have proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination for employment and building entry due to frequent interaction with the AFSA Governing Board, staff, guests, and members.
Please email a detailed cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified in this position and your resume, along with a brief writing sample.