Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat has an immediate opening for a Lead Associate Researcher to join our team of leading researchers in our continued work on behavioral health and health policy. You will be supporting projects that address the needs of individuals with mental health and substance use conditions.
In this highly collaborative role, you will work closely with project leadership and multi-disciplinary project teams to translate science into resources for a variety of audiences.
Audiences could include federal and state policy makers, clinical service providers, and individuals affected by mental health and substance use conditions.
Resources developed through Westat research include federal reports, clinical services implementation guides, policy analyses reports, and peer-reviewed journal articles.
You will have opportunities to work on different behavioral health topics, which could include healthcare financing, behavioral health program evaluation, mental health and substance use services delivery, health equity, social determinants of health, and opioids.Job Responsibilities:
• Manage day-to-day operations of behavioral health research projects including project management, data collection, data management, data analysis, report writing and manuscript preparation.
• Assist with operationalizing project scope, goals, and deliverables including:
• Develop, monitor, and adjust long- and short-term plans for project deliverables.
• Set target milestones and goals for adhering to deadlines.
• Define staffing needs, roles, and responsibilities.
• In collaboration with the project director, delegate tasks to appropriate team members.
• Collaborate with team leads to develop and implement methods to monitor the effectiveness of processes, protocols, and procedures.
• Provide direction, management, and support to evaluations, technical assistance, and training contracts.
• Participate in business development with networks of internal and external staff on proposals and projects from a variety of federal agencies, states, and foundations.
• Lead qualitative or quantitative data analysis.
• Participate in presentations at conferences and other meetings.Basic Qualifications:
• A master's degree in health policy, economics, or a social science discipline such as psychology, sociology, political science, or analytical methods such as applied statistics and 2-4 years relevant experience; or a PhD in health policy, economics, or a social science discipline such as psychology, sociology, political science, or analytical methods such as applied statistics and 1-3 years relevant experience.
• Experience with quantitative or qualitative research.Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in behavioral health conditions and disabilities research.
• Experience writing technical reports (such as literature reviews, study plans, methodology reports, summaries of research findings) or contributing to peer-review journal articles.Minimum Qualifications:
• Demonstrated communication skills.
• Collaboration with teams, managers and/or clients.
• Organization skills, including time management ability.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.