Senior Accountant - 23101
- WWF Washington, DC
- Washington D.C.
- Mar 21, 2023
- Apr 07, 2023
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Accountant.
The Senior Accountant (SA) provides critical accounting support on grants and contracts and revenue recognition for incoming agreements. The Senior Accountant works with and provides technical guidance to Program Administrators (PA), donor reporting, and the Director of Budgeting, Reporting and Analysis to ensure accurate accounting and reporting of all financial transactions on grants and contracts.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for managing the grant accounting for outgoing agreements which includes reviewing various reconciliations and journal entries prepared by Program Administrators. The Senior Accountant is also responsible for preparing and/or reviewing revenue recognition journal entries for incoming agreements. The Senior Accountant is responsible for reviewing automated indirect and revenue accounting and addressing all accounting related issues.
The Senior Accountant will continually assess existing processes, look for improvement, root causes of issues and propose solutions to make them more efficient and effective. This position will also serve as the point of contact for the annual external year-end audits for outgoing grants accounting inquiries.
Outgoing Agreement Related Tasks
- Review, approve, and post all reclasses and other adjustments, prepared by PAs and OAAS, related to outgoing agreements. Ensure appropriate documentation and explanation is included.
- Work with Program Administrators and Outgoing Agreements Associate Specialists (OAAS) to troubleshoot errors and issues related to the accounting associated with outgoing agreement obligations, payments, and amendments, primarily focused on the supplier invoice, purchase order, and reclass transactions.
- Lead the quarter four accrual process for conditional outgoing agreements including defining and communicating the process to PAs and posting the entries for all HQ outgoing agreements. The Senior Accountant will work in collaboration with the PAs, OAAS, International Accounting Lead, Accounting Manager, and VP of Accounting. Evaluate accruals versus the actual reported and identify any large variances.
- Review quarterly reconciliations prepared by the PA for conditional outgoing agreements, comparing GL expenses against financial reports submitted by the sub grantee(s) for donor audits. Investigate any variances in coordination with the PA and OAAS and ensure that the PA prepares any necessary reclasses or other adjustments.
- Perform completeness check for conditional outgoing agreements by verifying the accounting system (Workday) actuals and the grants management system (Smart Simple) agreements financial deliverables information agree for donor audits.
- Run monthly report from Smart Simple and reconcile unconditional agreements signed during the month to the corresponding expenses and grant liabilities recorded in Workday for donor audits. Investigate any variances in coordination with the PA and OAAS. Ensure the PA prepares any necessary reclasses or other adjustments. Prepare invoices and/or journal entries to record missing agreements in Workday.
- Serve as the point of contact for the external audits for financial outgoing agreement samples. Work with the PAs to coordinate documentation collection and review for accuracy and completeness. When necessary, work directly with external auditors to respond to questions and provide reconciliations.
- Identify areas of improvement in accounting related to sub awards. In coordination with the OASS, Director of International Accounting, Accounting Manager, Controller, and VP Accounting, train PA/ Finance and Administration (F&A) managers on new or recent accounting standards (e.g., ASU-2018-08).
- Run monthly report from the grant management system (Smart Simple) and reconcile unconditional incoming agreements signed during the month to revenue recorded and recognized in the accounting system (Workday). Prepare journal entries to record revenue for new agreements signed.
- Run monthly report from Smart Simple and verify that revenue for conditional incoming agreements has been recorded in Workday. Prepare journal entries to record revenue for HQ agreements. Follow up with country offices to ensure revenue for conditional agreements has been recorded.
Automated Indirect (F&A) and Revenue Accounting Management
- Assist VP of Accounting in maintenance and/or update of Workday Account Posting and allocation process rules.
- Run and review quarterly reports to identify errors and ensure the accurate posting of automated revenue and F&A accounting for all WWF US awards based on the award configuration in Workday. Coordinate corrections with the appropriate PA/corresponding WWF-US Country Office Official. Review, approve, and post all reclasses and other adjustments, prepared by PA’s and Intl Accounting Lead, and ensure appropriate documentation and explanation is included.
Effort Certification-Related Tasks
- Run and review quarterly reports to identify staff hours unallocated to programs.
- Follow up with Program Operations to ensure that hours are allocated in a timely manner.
- Work with PAs to ensure that percentages allocated to USG and conditional programs after adjustments were made in Workday agree to time and effort certifications completed by the employee; coordinate with PAs to update time and effort certifications, if necessary.
- Stay abreast of new accounting regulations and coordinate implementation and training thereof.
- Identify gaps in internal controls and business processes and work with relevant staff to continually refine and improve them.
- Identify Workday system improvements that would benefit WWF and submit to Workday Community for potential inclusion in future Workday Releases.
- Coordinate with the implementation vendor on Workday configuration updates, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration required
- Minimum of 6 years of experience including 3-5 years of grant accounting experience preferred
- Certified Public Accountant designation preferred
- Advanced Microsoft Excel capabilities
- Experience with Workday Financials preferred
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, tact, and diplomacy
- Excellent problem-solving skills, high level of accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Possess self-initiative and ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to coordinate efforts of a team and maintain flexibility
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF’s core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23101
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/xGLqRnt2Gwql6tOZSweWj