- Fairfax Water
- Lorton, Virginia
- Mar 20, 2023
- Apr 24, 2023
- Maintenance and Repair
- Full Time
Under close supervision of the Supervisor, Plant Production or Lead Operator, performs routine operational and general maintenance tasks involved in the operation of water treatment plant equipment and facilities on a rotating shift basis.
Duties: Performs routine operational and general maintenance tasks involved in the operation of water treatment plant equipment and facilities by:
- Making regular and continuous tours of the treatment plant facilities and monitoring the performance of operating equipment and the effectiveness of the treatment process. Reporting any unusual conditions to Lead Operator.
- Performing maintenance on chemical feeders, valves, pumps and other associated equipment.
- Collecting water samples and conducting laboratory tests to include: pH, turbidity, hardness, alkalinity, color and other related tests at prescribed stages and time intervals in the treatment cycle.
- Assisting in the reading and recording of information observed and obtained from computers, lab tests, meters, gauges and other instruments during shift operations.
- Entering recorded data into computer systems to monitor treatment effectiveness.
- Under the direction of a Lead Operator, assisting with the adjustment of chemical feeders, start/stop motors, pumps and other treatment equipment to control the physical, chemical and microbiological characteristics of water purification.
- Backwashing filters as needed.
- Writing maintenance notifications as required. Submitting appropriate operational reports to the Lead Operator including unusual activities or incidents requiring attention or corrective action.
- Assisting with inventory maintenance of chemicals and other related material.
- Unloading and storing incoming shipments of chemicals and other materials.
- Filling chemical hoppers and tanks; cleaning filter modules and checking chemical feeders.
- Conducting building maintenance tasks to include: cleaning floors, tools and work areas.
- Cleaning and maintaining Fairfax Water vehicles.
- Assuring compliance with established operating practices and techniques, safety rules, hazardous materials handling, and accident prevention measures.
- Clearing leaves, ice, grass and other materials from raw water intake systems as necessary.
- Operating and assisting with the Solids Dewatering process depending on plant assignment.
- Responding to chemical emergencies, utilizing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school or GED.
- Knowledge of computer basics, and the functions and servicing requirements of mechanical equipment and machinery.
- Must be able to learn the technical processes relating to water purification including the accurate reading, interpreting and recording of instrumentation and laboratory data.
- Must be able to inspect machinery and mechanical equipment and to detect flaws and defects in operation.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to assume responsibility as part of an operating team and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the public.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Must be able to work overtime on a rotating shift.
- Must obtain a Commonwealth of Virginia Class III Waterworks Operator's license within two years and a Commonwealth of Virginia Class II Waterworks Operator's license within 4 years of the date of employment, promotion or transfer as a condition of continued employment.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test. This position is subject to random testing after hire.
- Ability to lift chemical bags (weight up to 50 lbs. average).
- Ability to climb ladders.
- Ability to operate, or learn to operate, loading equipment such as a fork lift.
- Must pass a respiratory physical for respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus use and a respirator fit test. Must maintain personal grooming standards for effective use of the equipment.
Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.