Provides administrative support for the Retirement Systems. Manages customer facing reception area including switchboard and walk-in customers, data entry into the Pension Gold Retirement System, assists with correspondence, forms and receipt and logging of all incoming mail and packages. Duties include:
- Greeting visitors and servicing their immediate needs, providing them information, and guiding them through the County’s Retirement policies and procedures.
- Answering and directing incoming phone calls to appropriate staff member.
- Interpreting county rules and regulations to employees, management, and the public using discretion to proper application.
- Responsible for ensuring all customer correspondence is received (by fax, email, phone and in person) date stamped, and distributed internally.
- Responsible for scheduling and coordinating Retirement Counselors’ calendars for appointments and translations.
- Prepares and processes forms by mail, fax, or email and, is responsible for the developments and enhancements required to improve processes or resolve issues.
- Maintains spreadsheet to account for payments in coordination with the Benefits Specialist.
- Ensures reception area is tidy, organized, free of backlog and stocked with up to date and accurate information, analyzing the short-term administrative needs of the unit.
general administrative or retirement administration support.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
General Financial Duties
- Uses spreadsheets or databases to organize information and produce standard reports;
- Prepares a variety of complex disbursement forms (e.g., check requests, travel forms, cash sheets, and journal entries) for routing and approval;
- May approve some disbursement forms;
- Compiles and maintains monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual totals, reports, and financial statements;
- Explains fiscal rules and procedures to employees to ensure uniform application.
- Sets up accounts through corporate systems;
- Reconciles ledgers;
- Prepares status reports;
- Gathers data for use by others in preparing budget;
- Prepares transfer vouchers and interfund billing;
- Monitors external accounts for discrepancies.
- Prepares wide variety of accounting forms;
- Reconciles daily receipts or accounts receivable/payable;
- Identifies discrepancies and makes corrections;
- Collects required documents;
- Prepares and authorizes expense vouchers and/or invoices within limited authorization levels.
- Verifies requests for goods and services against county contracts and funding sources;
- Orders goods or services and follows up/resolves discrepancies and ensures delivery;
- Authorizes requests for goods and services in corporate systems;
- Ensures appropriate routing and approval of purchase requests.
Scheduling & Coordinating for Others
- Maintains calendar(s);
- Schedules meetings;
- Makes and cancels appointments;
- Schedules rooms for classes, meetings, conferences, etc.;
- Coordinates audiovisual, training equipment, refreshment requests;
- Set up schedules for internal administrative staff to insure that they are available to meet changing work needs.
- Composes routine correspondence on behalf of the executive/work unit head.
- Office Management
- Provides administrative support and implements procedures;
- May supervise others;
- Establishes/modifies and maintains a system for tracking the progress of work that is the responsibility of the executive/work unit head;
- Trains and orients new employees;
- Provides and explains relevant policies and procedures.
- Composes routine correspondence on behalf of the executive/work unit head.
- Schedule appointments;
- Explains departmental policy/procedure but does not interpret them;
- Responds to inquiries that require referencing a variety of sources and utilizing knowledge of the department/county operations.
- Keys/types complex documents (e.g., technical);
- Proofs spelling and grammar;
- Uses multiple software packages to prepare equations, statistics, tables and/or presentations;
- Compiles reports from edited drafts;
- Uses macros and templates developed by others.
- Performs data entry with some knowledge of department/work unit/program;
- Manipulates screens for additional entries;
- Generates routine reports;
- Creates simple spreadsheets;
- Maintains databases.
- Compiles routine factual/numerical reports using readily available information.
- Processes pay adjustments;
- Transmits on-line T&As;
- Regularly inputs routine Human Capital Management Enterprise Resource Planning system entries;
- Performs payroll functions (e.g., internal collection of time sheets, verify T&A entries, verify leave slips);
- Trains new employees on how to do on-line time.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Prepares and verifies completeness/accuracy of forms/documents (e.g., personnel requisitions, PARS, PCFs);
- Provides basic new employee benefits information;
- Explains routine personnel policies and procedures;
- Gathers information (e.g., salary range, class specifications, and merit adjustments) from HR website or other county sources for supervisor/management;
- Instructs employees in proper completion of routine documents (e.g., insurance enrollment forms).
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
- Knowledge of standard rules and interpretations within own functional area and a working knowledge of established methods and procedures used in related areas;
- Significant nonstandard skill/knowledge is required involving production of an end product such as a report.
- Basic skills in the use of Microsoft Word.
- Basic skills in the use of applicable Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Ability to write simple documents.
- Ability to process and integrate complex data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both external and internal contacts.
Purchasing and Accounting
- Ability to perform data entry into Purchasing/Logistics Enterprise Resource Planning systems and/or Financial Enterprise Resource Planning systems in at least three functions (e.g., create shells, accounts payable processing).
Personnel and Payroll
- Ability to perform routine Human Capital Management Enterprise Resource Planning system functions (e.g., process PARS, requisitions).
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be sensitive to political issues.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets) High school graduation and two years of experience providing administrative support in the assigned functional area(s).NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date
. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 4+ years of administrative support experience
- Customer service experience within an office environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, PensionGold, Adobe suite, Diligent Boards, PDF programs
- Experience creating and editing professional documents.
- Experience working with employee payroll.
- Experience supporting Board, Authority, or Council members
- Experience updating and writing content for websites.
Ability to lift up to 30lbs. Duties are generally sedentary and performed in office environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel Interview and may include a practical exercise.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov