Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.Job Summary:
Westat is seeking Communication Specialists to join our dynamic, award-winning health communication team. We are seeking a professional with experience in content/materials development, public health partner engagement, and technical assistance. The successful candidate should understand communications strategy, materials development, and communications research. Experience in successfully targeting diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups and working with public health clients is highly preferred. Applications should include links to published work.Job Responsibilities:
• Draft accurate, compelling, audience appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging public health topics,
• including chronic and infectious diseases, reproductive health, immunization, and addiction.
• Work with multimedia designers to create a range of print and electronic products, including brochures, infographics, reports, media materials, and videos.
• Coordinate with designers, writers, digital strategists, and quality assurance staff to develop a variety of creative and digital assets.
• Conduct research, identify, and engage partners (individuals, organizations, and state/local health departments) and plan and implement partner engagement efforts, such as e-newsletters and webinars.
• Support development and coordination of training and technical assistance to partners.
• Participate in research, writing, and strategy development for health communications projects.
• Maintain client relationships and proactively identify and propose solutions for project
• Assist with marketing and business development initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned.Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in public health, communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, education or related field.
• 8 years of experience providing communications and/or partnership engagement support for public health/healthcare communications programs.Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in successfully targeting diverse populations, including children, young adults, and minority groups and working with public health clients is highly preferred.
• Communications or PR agency experience.
• Experience with multicultural marketing and communications.
• Experience supporting federal public health clients.
• Experience developing proposals.Minimum Qualifications:
• Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills are essential.
• Detail oriented.
• Work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave (15 days per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 floating holidays)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.#LI-WST1