RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Perform special processing procedures such as myocardial biopsy processing, special and immunoperoxidase stains, bone and teeth decalcification, frozen section tissue preparation and brain/nerve tissue processing.
- Independently select stain based on an understanding of the underlying chemical reactions of the stains on certain tissues or cells and their value in the establishment of the correct results for the diagnostic, didactic, and research purposes.
- Stain slides using variety of stains such as Periodic Acid Schiffs and Leder Stains requiring many complex and delicate procedures and careful control of the staining reaction to achieve precise staining results.
- Select the proper controls to assure correct results of the stain or reaction, review staining quality for acceptability, and forward complete slide(s) to the pathologist.
- Adapt technical procedures for a number of different variables in the process of fixing and staining tissue.
- Conduct quality control procedures on equipment, reagents, and maintain proper records for quality control reports. Accept and reject slides on basis of proper staining by assessing the characteristics and quality of the stained material.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type situations the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirement and is therefore subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .Specialized Experience:
One year of specialized experience which includes embedding, cutting, and staining paraffin embedded human tissue; and operating tissue processors and automated stainers. Although not required, HT (ASCP) Certification as a Histotechnologist is preferred. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-08).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone-- no substitution of education for experience is permitted
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Problem Solving
- Technical Credibility
- Technology Application
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selectees for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/ .