As an International Economist, you will perform the following duties:
- Conduct economic research and analysis.
- Develop methodologies and approaches for research.
- Prepare reports and recommendations regarding important program aspects.
- Analyze major economic developments and determines applicability to the agency's major programs.
These duties are described above are at the GS-13; the GS-11 & GS-12 are developmental leading to such performance. All positions are developmental to the full performance level (FPL) GS-13.This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other International Economist, GS-0110-11/12/13 positions within the International Trade Administration
. in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience.IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINES:
To receive consideration for vacancies, applicants must submit complete applications prior to the established cut-off date(s). An initial cut-off will take place on December 23, 2022, to begin initial applicant consideration. Applications received after the initial cut-off date will be considered, if needed. Additional cut-off dates will occur on the following dates:
January 23, 2023
February 23, 2023
March 24, 2023
April 24, 2023
May 23, 2023
Candidates who submit a complete application by 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on the cut off dates, will be reviewed and referred if found eligible and qualified for the position. RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation. This may include a credit check, a review of financial issues, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use of possession of drugs.
- A probationary period may be required.
- Selective Service: Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/).
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application.
- All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Drug Test: No
- License required: No
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE form 450): No
- Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) Expense: will not be paid
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/ BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
This position has a positive Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of Specialized Experience OR substitution of education for experience OR combination (if applicable) in order to be found minimally qualified. Transcripts must be submitted with your application package. You MUST meet the following requirements:Education Requirement:
: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.OR
B. Combination of education and experience
: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.AND
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not have been in the federal government.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.To qualify at the GS-11 level:SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Performing economic analysis or research related to organizational programs; and
- Planning and completing projects for collecting detailed economic data.
: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
ORCombination of Education and Experience: NOTE
: Education and experience may be combined for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.To qualify at the GS-12 level:SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
To qualify at the GS-13 level:SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
- Performing economic analysis or research related to organizational programs;
- Planning and completing projects for collecting detailed economic data; and
- Planning and carrying out complex studies and analysis including determination of: data needed to complete assignments; sources, reliability, and availability of such data; method of collections; and evaluation techniques to be used in interpreting findings.
Applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Conducting economic analysis or research related to organizational programs;
- Developing methodologies and approaches for research; and
- Analyzing major economic developments and determining applicability to the agency's major programs.
See Qualifications Above. Additional informationICTAP and CTAP Eligibles:
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85 out of 100. Information about ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at: Employee Guide to Career Transition CTAP
applicants MUST submit the following documents: A copy of your specific RIF notice; notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate; a Certificate of Expected Separation (CES); or certification that you are in a surplus organization or occupation (this could be a position abolishment letter, a notice eligibility for discontinued service retirement, or similar notice). A copy of your SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action", noting current position, grade level, and duty location; A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential. ICTAP
applicants MUST submit the following documents: A copy of your RIF separation notice; notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate; notice of disability annuity termination; certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement; A copy of your SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action" documenting your RIF separation, noting your positions, grade level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc; A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential. Current or Former Political Appointees:
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES, or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.