Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat is seeking remote part-time Data Curators who are looking to make an impact on data-driven methods to accelerate progress in combating human diseases. You will provide support on the management of a groundbreaking tool for analysis and metascience research. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in working with large datasets and cross-functional teams at the NIH, the largest biomedical research agency in the world. This part-time remote position will require minimum of 10 hours/week with the possibility of up to 20 hours/week.
• Assist in the disambiguation of a scientific article database, which would involve matching people's names to their respective grants and papers.
• Work within a database to curate scientific articles.
• Use the content of NIH awards and the research literature to identify and accurately distinguish different topics in biomedical research.
• Provide feedback on the tool and suggestions for improvements based on curation results.
• Communicate with project manager on progress and issues related to data curation.
• An interest in a biomedical, data science, or health science (e.g., biology, public health, epidemiology, immunology, etc.).
• Current graduate student with completed coursework and a bachelor's degree in one of the above disciplines.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Detail oriented.
• Knowledge or interest in biomedical research, quality control, and/or tool development.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work with complex data sets.
• General familiarity with scientific research articles.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel).
• Access to a personal laptop/computer.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.