Teacher Assistant (Type II Program) - $750 Signing Bonus
- The Foundation Schools
- Rockville, Maryland, Montgomery County
- Mar 13, 2023
- Apr 17, 2023
- School and Teaching, Teacher
- Education, Primary and Secondary
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- Full Time
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. For over 40 years, the combination of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg, Largo, Rockville and Landover, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12.
The mission of The Foundation Schools is to provide a highly specialized educational and therapeutic program for students preparing them to be productive and successful in their future academic and career paths. The Foundation Schools employs special education strategies and techniques to provide quality instruction that results in the students’ mastery of approved curriculum and that promotes social, emotional and cognitive learning. We effectively manage student behavior through implementation of behavior management systems, school rules and policies.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
Education, Experience and Certification Requirements
- Bachelor's degree is required
- Minimum of one year of successful experience in special education, a psychiatric setting or other similar setting for children and adolescents is required
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
Teacher Assistants manage students' behavior, ensure students' safety through the implementation of the behavior management system, school rules, and The Foundation Schools' policies and procedures, and reinforce positive behaviors. Teacher Assistants support the academic program by working under the direction of the classroom teacher to implement lesson plans and meet IEP goals. Teacher Assistants are responsible for the completion of behavioral documentation within assigned deadlines. Teacher Assistants also provide staff assistance and program support through participation in meetings, committees, and special activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist with students throughout the school day in both the classrooms and hallways, and maintain required electronic and paper documentation regarding students’ behaviors and activities within assigned deadlines
- Assist teacher with the implementation of both individual and group classroom assignments, lesson plans, and the administration of tests and examinations; take direction from the teacher regarding delegated tasks
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of academic subjects and the ability to assist students with classwork; provide coverage and carryout lesson plans for teacher during absences or when they need to be away from the classroom during the school day
- Reinforce expectations for learning and set classroom structure to encourage student participation and appropriate behavior
- Help to promote a safe, structured, creative, and engaging learning environment; assist with preparation of classroom materials, distribution of books and supplies, and other basic clerical duties
- Assist with students’ transition between classrooms, during lunch periods, during students’ arrivals and departures or other unstructured times
- Demonstrate clear and professional boundaries with all students
- Demonstrate an understanding of how our students’ disabilities impact their behavior and ability to learn; display knowledge of students’ diagnoses and adapt intervention strategies accordingly to meet the requirements of the students’ IEPs and BIPs
- Effectively manage student behavior through the implementation of the behavior management system, school rules, policies, and procedures; model appropriate behavior for the students during the school day
- Proactively identify behaviors among all students that could lead to a crisis, an unsafe situation or disrupt the learning environment; use effective behavior management techniques to address these behaviors in order to limit the severity and length of disruptions
- Proactively provide supervision of students to ensure the safety and security of the school program at all times
- Maintain student confidentiality in accordance with The Foundation Schools Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest Statement and student record confidentiality procedures
- Demonstrate appropriate use of verbal de-escalation skills to manage student behaviors; utilize the behavior continuum in order to use or consider the use of the least restrictive behavioral interventions necessary; use effective, appropriate, and approved strategies during a crisis including the participation in seclusions, therapeutic holds, escorts, and student restraints when necessary; consistently, and appropriately utilize and model TACT 2 techniques or classroom behavior management strategies
- Work with teachers, therapists, school leaders, and other team members to determine the student and/or classroom needs, and adjust interventions and practices to best meet those needs; work with team to develop interventions and/or incentive plans when appropriate
- Actively participate in committees, meetings, supervision, and professional development activities
- Consistently model, and implement the organization’s core values to drive actions and to guide our students to incorporate Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership into positive behaviors
- Comply with all of The Foundation Schools’ policies, rules, protocols, and procedures
- Complete other duties as assigned