Chairperson – Management Marketing & Public Relations
4 days left
- Bowie State University
- Bowie, Maryland
- Mar 01, 2023
- Apr 05, 2023
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Full Time
POSITION TITLE Chairperson – Management Marketing & Public Relations
PERSONNEL STATUS: Faculty
DEPARTMENT: College of Business
OPEN DATE: February 27, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled (For best consideration, please apply by March 27, 2023)
The Academic Department Chair is responsible for ensuring the proper management and educational focus of the department’s staff, physical equipment, and other resources. A strong candidate will have demonstrated strong academic and team leadership including effective change management, the ability to serve as an outstanding faculty colleague and mentor including leading the department’s participation in the university’s movement to an R2 institution, and can implement the department mission and vision, including fund raising and diversity efforts, through synergistic interaction with the wider college, university, and community. The Department Chair should also be able to lead development of curricula and the overall academic experience consistent with the missions of the College of Business and the University to provide educational opportunities for traditionally underserved students.
- Maintains academic excellence by observing, mentoring, and collaborating with faculty.
- Implements university and department policies.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Maintains academic quality and departmental vitality through the oversight, recruitment, and retention of faculty, staff, and students.
- Ensures smooth daily operation of the department’s faculty, staff, and physical facilities and schedules.
- Coordinates the department’s schedule of course offerings.
- Manages the departmental budget and physical and technological facilities.
- Involves faculty and other stakeholders in broad decision-making and planning.
- Communicates information concerning policies, decisions, procedures, and activities to the department.
- Attracts and maintains a distinguished and diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- Supports and develops the vision, mission, and future goals of the department and the university.
- Fosters positive morale and cohesiveness throughout the department.
- Mentors and guides faculty so that they may better mentor students, set scholarly goals, investigate creative interests within the field, and accomplish professional goals.
- Teaches classes as needed.
- Advocates for and supports the university through extracurricular activities including, but not limited to, open houses and graduation ceremonies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and work with individuals at all levels of the university.
- Ability to create, maintain, analyze, and negotiate the department budget.
- Ability to analyze, anticipate, and schedule course offerings.
- Attention to detail with a focus on thoroughness and quality.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate must have a superlative academic record and standing along with a Ph.D. in Management, Public Administration or a related field. A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a professorial capacity required; full professors preferred.
Conditions of Employment: Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations are encouraged but not required for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to change.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes vacation days, holidays, and sick days; comprehensive health insurance and tuition remission.
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human Resources
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.