The Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) Teacher provides special education services as outlined in the Individualized Education Program to preschool students in a class-based program. This teacher also provides special education services as outlined in the Individualized Education Program to preschool students in the community preschools, daycares, and homes. This teacher collaborates with the general education staff at the preschools and daycares to ensure appropriate instructional strategies, accommodations, and adaptations are in place for students with disabilities. This position reports to the Principal.
Individuals hired into this role will join the George Washington University-ACPS Special Education Residency Cohort. This program combines enrollment into a Special Education Graduate degree program at GWU and employment within ACPS.
Participation is also dependent on acceptance into the GWU Graduate degree program.
More information about this program can be reviewed here: https://www.acps.k12.va.us/departments/school-community-relations/communications/media-relations/press-releases/~board/press-releases/post/alexandria-city-public-schools-acps-announces-partnership-with-the-george-washington-universitys-graduate-school-of-education-and-human-development . Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's degree;
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education license with an endorsement in Special Education, or eligibility to obtain one.
- Compensation: This position qualifies for an additional step placement on the Licensed Salary Scale under the umbrella of Specialized Instruction.
- Implements preschool curriculum, develops individual instructional plans and helps select instructional materials and strategies that are individually, developmentally, and culturally appropriate.
- Collaborates with related service providers to plan and implement strategies appropriate for each individual child.
- Guides parents in accommodating their children's needs in daily activities in the home and the community.
- Develops and implements IEP goals, accommodations, and services.
- Provides documentation of school and home visits to comply with program requirements.
- Assesses students' progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals and provides feedback to parents, community preschool staff, and administration.
- Delivers special education services in Alexandria City community preschools and daycare centers by collaborating with general education preschool teachers in making instructional and environmental adaptations to include preschoolers in community preschool and Head Start classrooms.
- Collaborates with community general education teachers and/or parents in managing student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Conducts Child Find screenings, observations, and evaluations to determine development levels and need for special education services.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Division-Wide Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: