- Montgomery County Government
- Wheaton, Maryland
- Feb 27, 2023
- Mar 30, 2023
- Government and Public Services, State & Local
- Full Time
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
2425 Reedie Drive, Wheaton, MD 20902
Salary Range: $62,873 - $103,034
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill an Accountant/Auditor III to support the budget and fiscal needs of the department’s general fund and Water Quality Protection Fund (WQPF). This position will assist with the development of the 6-Year Fiscal Plan for the WQPF. The Accountant/Auditor III will also be responsible for preparing quarterly and monthly reports and performing financial analyses for the general fund and WQPF operating expenditures for programs and operations and preparing journal entries as needed.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
• Assist with the preparation analyses which calculate and recommend Water Quality Protection Charge (WQPC) rates.
• Assist with the preparation of funding and revenue scenarios to support DEP’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) budget.
• Assist with the preparation of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) required quarterly financial analyses for the WQPF and general fund to support decision making during the budget formulation process.
• Assist in coordinating DEP’s efforts to adhere to the Department of Finance year-end closing guidelines and procedures, providing guidance to colleagues as needed.
• Act as Liaison between the Department of Finance, OMB and DEP for financial and budget issues by responding timely and accurately to their requests for information and analysis.
• Conduct research to identify Stormwater Management Facility (SWMF) assets constructed through the CIP.
• Compile expenditure and funding data and coordinate with the Department of Finance to capitalize the SWMF assets in the County’s fixed asset records.
• Respond to annual fixed asset inventory request from the Department of Finance.
• Compile data to prepare the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) annual report which includes comprehensive employee expense allocation, future years budget projections, and fiscal analysis.
• Compile, prepare, and submit financial packages for state grant reimbursements and state loan draw requests including monitoring the spend down for both.
• Compile financial data required to prepare the DEP MS4 Financial Assurance Plan (FAP) per state law.
The ideal candidate will have considerable knowledge of accounting, budget analysis, and auditing principles, practices, and procedures; thorough knowledge and proven skills in the development of complex multi-year budgets; and the ability to prepare comprehensive reports and interpret financial reports and statements as well as identify and solve problems. This position requires the ability to attend meetings or perform work at locations outside the office, and occasional weekend and/ or evening work may be required.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
For information about Montgomery County’s comprehensive benefit offerings, please visit the MCG Careers Total Rewards webpage and check out our competitive benefits!
Experience: Three (3) years of experience performing professional accounting work comparable to the Accountant/Auditor II.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or in a related field such as Public Administration or Business Administration with a major in Accounting.
Substitution: Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) may be substituted for a degree in Accounting or a major in Accounting.
There are NO Preferred Criteria Assessments. All Applicants will be reviewed by the Office of Human Resources (OHR) for minimum qualifications. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be rated “Qualified”, placed on the eligible list, and may be considered for an interview. Employees meeting minimum qualifications of the same grade or higher will be placed on the Eligible List as a “Transfer” candidate and may be considered for an interview.
Preference for interviews will be given to applicants with experience in the following:
• Experience in generally accepted accounting principles for governmental accounting,
• Experience and knowledge in practices and techniques of budgeting and financial program evaluation and analysis.
• Compile, prepare, and submit financial packages for Local, State and Federal Grants, and Loan reimbursements.
• Knowledge of and experience in budget and financial management and automated financial systems such as Hyperion, BI tools, BASIS, ORACLE, etc.
• Complex reconciliations of transactions in multiple systems; of general ledger and subsidiary transactions; and/or complex accounting transactions.
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated on your resume.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG” tab. Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category.
The requisition number is IRC57333.
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment Closes March 20, 2023
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.