Managing Editor - The American Physiological Society (APS)
7 days left
- The American Physiological Society (APS)
- Remote or local
- Feb 27, 2023
- Apr 03, 2023
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
APS is seeking a dynamic Managing Editor who will help drive the growth and strategic development of a select number of APS journals.
The American Physiological Society (APS) was founded in 1887 and is a global leader in expanding knowledge related to biological function. It connects a multidisciplinary community of nearly 10,000 scientists and educators from around the world, driving collaboration and spotlighting scientific discoveries in physiology and related disciplines. The members are advancing treatments and cures for everything from cancer and heart disease to obesity and addiction. They are also deepening insight into living organisms generally, helping us to better understand how things like climate change are affecting the world around us. Please visit https://www.physiology.org for more information about APS.
- Contribute to the strategic development of a select number of APS journals. Continually strive to raise the profile of the assigned APS portfolio of journals within the scientific community, and works with others to assess, define, and oversee the implementation of strategic plans that will lead to growth in the journals. Integrate strategic thinking, demonstrate creativity, and effectively communicate new ideas. Collaborate with the Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editors, Editorial Board and the APS publications team, while confidently demonstrating a thorough knowledge of the peer review process. As a publishing expert will work autonomously to develop the reputation of APS journals in the market and to ensure the ongoing competitive position of the journals. Work proactively to monitor competing journals and industry developments and reports on new trends in publishing, presenting innovative ideas that will further enhance the journals. Collaborate with the editorial team and Guest Editors to identify emerging research areas and develop Calls for Papers and content collections. Will work closely with the editorial team to manage commissioned content and collaborate with the marketing department and curate social media for journals, including writing content for multiple social media platforms and reporting on social media analytics. Manage related workflows to ensure timely and accurate delivery of a high-quality product, actively monitors and report on journal performance, track Associate Editor and Editorial Board activity, organize and plan meetings with the editorial team, travel to occasional in-person and virtual meetings and conferences to represent the journal, produces presentations and reports, monitors collections and citations, performs new Associate Editor training and onboarding, and work with editors to identify and recruit new Editorial Board Members. Manage special projects and initiatives, including but not limited to producing journal-specific podcasts and facilitating the development of early career researcher reviewers.
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Scientific or scholarly publishing experience (required)
- Eight (8) of work experience, preferred but not required Experience in scholarly, scientific, or medical publishing
- Knowledge of editorial processes, scientific/scholarly peer review
- Excellent oral and written communications skills for both scientific/ academic and lay audiences, including presentation and collaboration skills
- Strong prioritization and time management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Strong data analysis skills, including journal and editorial team performance metrics
- Experience in social media and outreach to engage the journal community
- Excellent networking skills and editorial acumen
This position is a full-time, exempt position. APS offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits, including a 403(b)-retirement plan; holidays, generous annual and sick leave; medical, dental, and vision insurance plans; flexible spending; and life and short- and long-term disability insurance. This is a remote position.
All qualified applicants must send a cover letter, including salary requirements and a resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Individuals with Disabilities:
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, don’t hesitate to contact FASEB/APS’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com
To learn more about APS, please visit: https://www.physiology.org/
APS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Apply for Managing Editor - The American Physiological Society (APS)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly