- Washington D.C.
- Feb 24, 2023
- Mar 31, 2023
- Construction and Skilled Trades
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Full Time
Facilities, Buildings & Grounds (FBG) is currently seeking a Carpenter to help support the Universities mission in education. FBG is a part of GW’s Facilities, Planning and Construction Management Division, which maintains GW’s property and grounds on all three campuses. Employees at GWU are offered a competitive salary, excellent benefits package, general retirement savings options that include university contributions and matching contributions, generous Annual and Sick leave benefits plus many more. For more information about GW benefits, please visit https://hr.gwu.edu/benefits
Reporting to a Zone Manager, the Carpenter typically performs carpentry work in the maintenance, repair and construction of structures, walls, floors, windows, screens, sashes, doors, furniture, fixtures, stairs, cupboards, roofs and cabinets.
- Independently functions as a fully qualified carpenter in the maintenance, repair and construction of structures, walls, floors, windows, screens, sashes, doors, furniture, fixtures, stairs, cupboards, roofs and cabinets.
- Repairs or alters buildings, sheds, scaffolds, partitions and other structures from plans, sketches or instructions; may construct new facilities from blueprints and specifications;
- Repairs walls (drywall), painted surfaces, ceilings, screens, windows, sashes, doors, furniture, fixtures, stairs, cupboards, and roofs;
- May lay and repair flooring, floor coverings and carpeting, install Formica;
- Builds and installs cabinets, furniture and other fixtures;
- Installs and adjusts doors; installs and repairs locks. weather stripping, brackets for mirrors and draperies, linoleum, tile, gutters, and down spouts;
- Operates variety of power tools such as saws, jointers, nail guns, lathes, sanders, planers, and boring and mortising machines; cleans, sharpens, maintains, and repairs power and hand tools;
- Estimates materials and time needed to complete tasks, places materials requests;
- Detect and report the need for major maintenance repairs;
- Reads and interprets blueprints, drawings, and written technical documents associated with general machinery in order to locate trouble areas and to complete repairs accurately;
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment, buildings, and building systems to ensure safe operation;
- Operates automotive equipment to transport materials and supplies;
- May assist in the fabrication of equipment and materials constructed in the Carpentry shop in accordance with project requirements;
- May lead and instructs helpers; Maintains required record-keeping;
- Other duties as assigned.
The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.