Senior Trades Helper
5 days left
- Washington D.C.
- Feb 24, 2023
- Mar 31, 2023
- Construction and Skilled Trades
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Full Time
Facilities, Buildings & Grounds (FBG) Life Safety Shop is seeking a Senior Trades Helper with excellent customer service skills and the ability to physically perform job duties, including: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling a variety of equipment. Carries out special jobs or emergency call as assigned. This position will receive on-the-job training in the building trade to which assigned. Ability to work flexible schedule and on-call / rotating weekends.
FBG is a part of GW’s Facilities, Planning and Construction Management Division, which maintains GW’s property and grounds on all three campuses. Employees at GWU are offered a competitive salary, excellent benefits package, general retirement savings options that include university contributions and matching contributions, generous Annual and Sick leave benefits plus many more. For more information about GW benefits, please visit https://hr.gwu.edu/benefits
Reporting to the Supervisor, The Senior Trades Helper supports the Fire/Life Safety team efforts in Emergency Generator Preventive Maintenance, Fire Alarm System Inspection, Testing and Repair. Sprinkler Systems Inspection, Testing, and Repair.
The Responsibilities of a Senior Trades Helper are including but not limited to:
- Assist with and /or perform Generator PM Testing, Visual Inspections, Logging Usage/Run Times, Topping of Fluids as needed, and responding to Emergencies related.
- Assist with and /or perform Fire Alarm Servicing of Battery Replacements, Detector Cleaning or Replacement, Testing Fire Alarm Systems across campus marking deficiencies and scheduling best repair and retest times with customers.
- Overseeing projects to ensure integrity of Fire Alarm systems are maintained. Responding to Emergency Calls and Building Trouble signals within a reasonable time frame.
- Assist with and/or perform Wet/Dry Sprinkler Visual Inspections of Valves across Campus, Testing of Drum Drips, Fire Pumps, Dry System Components, Wet System Components, Jockey Pumps and any integrated Fire Alarm monitoring equipment. Responding to Emergencies Related. Ensuring Buildings maintain Fire Safety Code Requirements.
- May serve in or represent the Supervisor at various meetings that may impact the unit.
- Enhances professional knowledge and skills by attending job related seminars, workshops, and conferences and/or reviewing published literature.
Performs other work related duties as requested. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.