General Maintenance Technician
4 days left
- Washington D.C.
- Feb 24, 2023
- Mar 31, 2023
- Construction and Skilled Trades
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Full Time
Facilities, Buildings & Grounds (FBG) is currently seeking a General Maintenance Technician (GMT) for the day shift to help support the Universities mission in education. FBG is a part of GW’s Facilities, Planning and Construction Management Division, which maintains GW’s property and grounds on all three campuses. Employees at GWU are offered a competitive salary, excellent benefits package, general retirement savings options that include university contributions and matching contributions, generous Annual and Sick leave benefits plus many more. For more information about GW benefits, please visit https://hr.gwu.edu/benefits
Reporting to a Zone Manager, the General Maintenance Technician typically performs semi-skilled and sub journey work in the maintenance, repair, remodeling, alterations and construction of buildings, grounds, facilities, and equipment. Position will be utilized as general repairer when no immediate journey level tradesperson is unavailable. General repairer positions are used when it would be impractical to have several journey level tradespersons on site. Other positions perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance duties requiring a limited knowledge of various trade skills.
These positions work independently in routine maintenance assignments or under the technical direction of a journey level position, independently performs semi-skilled work in carpentry, plumbing, welding and metal fabrication, steam fitting, electrical, HVAC, mechanical and machinist work. Under the technical direction of a journey-level trades worker, the GMT may perform skilled work in carpentry, plumbing, steam fitting, electrical, mechanical and machinist work;
Other responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Operates hand tools, power tools and other shop equipment as needed;
- Performs minor repairs on building fixtures, plumbing, heating, laundry and kitchen equipment, motors and electrical appliances;
- Operates automotive equipment to transport materials and supplies;
- May assist in the fabrication of equipment and materials constructed in trade shops in accordance with project requirements;
- Repairs windows, doors, screens, floors, floor coverings, and painted surfaces;
- Perform minor repairs on electrical circuits, steam or waterlines, plumbing fixtures, lights and partitions; clean clogged drains and sewer lines; replace broken windows;
- Respond to maintenance requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Detect and report the need for major maintenance repairs
- Reads and interprets blueprints, drawings, schematics and written technical documents associated with general machinery in order to locate trouble areas and to complete repairs accurately.
- Operates and maintains building equipment and systems such as vacuum systems, control air systems, building air systems, emergency generators, electrical distribution systems, liquid pumping systems, steam, air handling systems, hot/cold water systems and natural gas and fuel oil systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment, buildings, and building systems to ensure safe operation.
- Provides guidance to staff to ensure work orders are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintains required record-keeping.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.