Assistant Dean for Marketing and Communications
- College Park, MD 20742
- Commensurate with Experience
- Feb 24, 2023
- Mar 31, 2023
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Career Level
- Executive (Director, VP, Department Head, etc)
- Full Time
The assistant dean (AD) of marketing and communications reports to the dean of the College of Arts and Humanities (ARHU) and is the college’s chief strategist responsible for developing and implementing an integrated marketing and communications program intended to raise the profile of the arts and humanities among internal and external stakeholders. The AD is a member of the dean’s senior leadership team and collaborates with unit directors, faculty, staff, students, and alumni to guide the planning and execution of major marketing and communications priorities and campaigns. The AD provides counsel and recommendations on policy and action in the management of reputational issues and crises affecting the college. The AD leads a team of five direct reports responsible for all aspects of college marketing, guest experience in the performing arts, public and media relations, creative services, web and digital media, video production, and recruitment and development marketing. The AD monitors and promotes the college’s positioning in the marketplace and coordinates its branding and messaging systems with the university.
- Masters’ degree in Communication, Public Relations, or related field required.
- Minimum ten years of progressive leadership experience and demonstrated success in marketing, branding, communications, and/or public relations fields, including five years management experience with creative teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Exceptional knowledge of the latest digital and integrated marketing tools, including both traditional and emerging media platforms; experience hiring/managing agencies to assist with this work;
- Demonstrate energy, creativity and overall character to engage team and constituencies, internally and externally, and ability to inspire trust in others;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including both written and oral as well as excellent listening and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated strong creative process skills with excellent graphic and design sense;
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement new initiatives; experience applying strategic long-term thinking;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to gather, analyze and summarize data and trends;
- Demonstrated experience exhibiting exceptional judgment, strong leadership and management skills, collegial work style, and keen sense of diplomacy to facilitate effective collaboration and interdepartmental marketing and communications consistency;
- Approach issues management in a way that anticipates needs and ensures timely action.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team, and manage multiple and competing priorities to ensure production of high-quality work in a dynamic, deadline-driven environment;
- Ability to prioritize competing needs and demands so as to manage and delegate workflow on fast-paced timelines;
- Ability to serve as college spokesperson on a variety of issues.
- Experience in a higher education.
- Experience working collaboratively with faculty, senior-level administrators, students, university colleagues and alumni.
To apply for this position, visit: http://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/104477