7 days left
- Maryland State Education Association
- Annapolis, Maryland
- Feb 24, 2023
- Mar 31, 2023
- Full Time
Accounting Clerk - Maryland State Education Association (MSEA)
Maryland State Education Association (MSEA) is the Maryland affiliate of the National Education Association (NEA). MSEA is a union and professional association headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland representing 75,000 educators and school employees working in Maryland’s public schools. MSEA is dedicated to improving the teaching and learning experience; negotiating professional compensation and advocating for increased education funding and working conditions for public school employees; promoting academic achievement for all students; and protecting labor, civil and human rights for all.
JOB SUMMARY: The accounting clerk is responsible for the efficient maintenance, processing and reconcilement of accounts payable, accounts receivable and other financial transactions. This position receives and processes invoices for payment, processes cash receipts, maintains ledgers of record, and assists with month end closing, annual audits and tax filings.
- Update and maintain accounting journals, ledgers and other records detailing financial transactions.
- Process accounts payable invoices including assignment, obtaining approvals, verifying, coding, entering data in accounting software systems and running payables reports.
- Verify expense policy compliance.
- Review invoices for complete and accurate reporting of sales tax.
- Perform clerical functions related to accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Maintain accounts payable and accounts receivable records and sub-ledgers.
- Research accounts payable and account receivable as requested.
- Download credit card transactions, verify supporting documentation, coding, and required approvals.
- Prepare and provide supporting documentation to assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements, annual audits, and tax filings.
- Process treasury transactions, including transfers and deposits, and prepare related journal entries.
- Generate financial transaction reports related to treasury processing.
- Review fixed asset sub-ledgers providing supporting documentation to assist in recording and maintaining accurate accounting records.
- Process payroll withholding reports and payments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required (5-10%)
- Associate’s degree in Accounting or related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years accounts payable or general accounting experience (non-profit or association experience preferred).
- Strong knowledge of general accounting procedures and practices.
- Strong knowledge of processing accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions. Strong knowledge and experienced user of MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.).
- Knowledge of accounting software (PeopleSoft preferred).
- Knowledge of expense and invoice processing software (Concur preferred).
- Proficient in verbal and written communication. Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
- Requires strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to make sound decisions, take initiative and demonstrate resourcefulness.
- Ability to perform duties with efficiency and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of data and practices.
- Has a valid US driver’s license that complies with the state of Maryland.
Starting pay: $47,261 accompanied by a generous benefits package
Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Submission deadline: Open until filled
Email address: email@example.com
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and employment application to the email address above. Applications can be found on the MSEA Careers website at marylandeducators.org. All applications must be typed.
MSEA is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
MSEA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at MSEA are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or disability.