Director, Corporate & Foundation Relations, A. James Clark School of Engineering
- University of Maryland
- College Park, Maryland
- low $130,000s to mid $160,000s.
- Feb 20, 2023
- Mar 27, 2023
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Career Level
- Manager (Manager / Supervisor of Staff)
- Full Time
The Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations, works closely with the Chief Development Officer & Assistant Dean for Advancement of the A. James Clark School of Engineering. They will provide development leadership for the college’s major strategic philanthropic initiatives, securing significant financial support from corporations, foundations and, in a few instances, individuals. The Director will coordinate strategy for corporate and foundation relationships with the Clark School and its departments, institutes, centers, programs, campus leadership, the Division of Research, the University Career Center, and other internal stakeholders. In collaboration with deans, chairs, faculty and staff, the Director will develop comprehensive relationships with the college’s major corporate funders, advancing opportunities to secure significant philanthropic support; it is anticipated the Director will assist in the identification of sponsored research opportunities, and will be expected to engage appropriate campus partners in research. The Director will serve as the corporations’ key liaison to the Clark School and, as appropriate, to the University of Maryland. The Director will serve as a senior member of the Advancement Team committed to the establishment of a major gifts culture to support the strategic vision of the Clark School. They will be part of developing and implementing the college’s strategic plan and comprehensive campaign. The Director supervises the Associate Director, Corporate & Foundation Relations.
The Director will be required to work evenings and weekends as necessary and will travel 10% of the time locally and regionally.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
- A minimum of seven years of development and/or customer relationship management experience.
- Experience securing corporate and foundation gifts of six figures and above.
- Proposal writing experience.
- Experience working with senior executives and volunteers.
- Experience overseeing stewardship events and activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to manage program fundraising, from defining the opportunity to identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major prospects and donors.
- Ability to synthesize complex material and have a great attention to detail.
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
- Strong customer service ethic.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of constituents and colleagues.
- Ability to liaise across campus regarding topics including recruiting, sponsored research, executive or employee training, intellectual property and “tech transfer”, and all manner of philanthropic donations including research gifts.