Senior Systems Engineer #243
- US SENATE SERGEANT AT ARMS
- Washington D.C.
- Feb 14, 2023
- Mar 21, 2023
- Technology and Software
- Full Time
Senior Systems Engineer #243
Pay Band: SAA-10 - $98000-$146992
Remote Work Status: Remote / FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date Range: 2/13/2023-2/27/2023
This vacancy announcement closes at 7pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
This is senior-level professional work implementing, maintaining and supporting information technology and telecommunications services and systems. Work involves acting as a technical liaison for special consultations and projects and actively participating on joint task force assignments with other sections of the SAA. Work in this classification is distinguished from the Systems Engineer by its level of system expertise, lead assignments, and development and implementation of Senate-wide systems. Work is performed under the general direction of a Manager or Supervisor.
Examples of Work
Provides senior-level technical support for Senate information technology or telecommunications services, systems, hardware, software and storage solutions to the users; supports Senate offices, contract support vendors and other technical staff with troubleshooting and managing the various Senate environments. Maintains, monitors and troubleshoots LAN/WAN and SAN operations; solves complex LAN/WAN and SAN applications problems; installs, integrates, customizes, enhances, troubleshoots and tests LAN and SAN hardware and software; designs and tests network configurations; develops software applications. Installs, upgrades, customizes, tunes and maintains databases for optimal performance and availability; assures integrity of databases through restricting access and implementing security procedures. Develops, tests and implements database store procedures, functions, triggers, views and packages. Designs, deploys, implements, configures, administers and maintains the Virtual Machine Infrastructure (VMI) Environment; provides project management for the consolidation and migration of systems into the VMI environment. Manages current storage capacity and ensures storage is available to support all computing environments; plans for future storage growth; monitors and confirms that system files and application products are successfully backed-up; performs necessary installations, patches, and upgrades. Installs, customizes, tests, configures and maintains operating systems and software platforms; monitors, evaluates and resolves hardware/software configuration system performance problems; installs, customizes and monitors servers and network administration software; investigates and resolves problems of mainframe, server or LAN or SAN system outages and inefficiencies; performs back-up and recovery on all software; installs, customizes and maintains third party software on open operating systems. Designs, supports and administers the Senate’s Internet website architecture; researches, evaluates, installs, customizes, maintains, troubleshoots and monitors hardware, software, operating systems, applications, and third party services; assists users with technical issues/problems relating to the Senate Internet and intranet services and web development; supports internal and external websites; documents the Senate.gov architecture; Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, and maintains specialized applications to meet the needs of Senate users.
The U.S. Senate is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to support its Back-End Website Development and Deployment. This is a position for a multi-skilled individual who enjoys working with multiple technologies and can change focus quickly to troubleshoot
and resolve a variety of problems. Some on-call and off-hours support will be required.
• Deployment and back-end support for websites in containerized platform, including database backups.
• Preparing technical documentation.
• Implementing and maintaining security, backup, and disaster recovery strategies.
• Performance and capacity planning.
• Administration in the following areas:
o Linux Shell Scripting
o SQL syntax and working with data
o MySQL accounts and permissions
o Wordpress and/or Drupal
Minimum of BS in information technology or computer science and 5-8 years of enterprise infrastructure administration (compute and storage), or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience. The candidate will have the ability to analyze and resolve complex problems in the enterprise infrastructure environment as well as other technical areas and be able to contribute work on multiple projects simultaneously. The position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work as a team member, and the ability to document operational and support procedures.
Desired (Additional) Skills/Experience:
• Git and Git repos
• Front-end Website Design
• MySQL Command Line or MySQL Workbench
• Installing and managing PHP on Linux
• Experience with automation tools
• Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks and its basic services
Work requires a Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information technology or a related technical area and five to eight years of system, network, application design, development and maintenance, support and storage experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Knowledge of information technology software, hardware and network communication technology and protocols.
- Knowledge of CS2100 feature and switch operation, electronic and ISDN digital lines, digital phones, cable distribution, 10 base t-LAN’s, ESNA voicemail and Session Initiated Protocol.
- Knowledge of programming principles and scripting.
- Knowledge of the latest generation of computer languages in a distributed or client server environment.
- Knowledge of networking operating systems software internals and UNIX, Windows-based operating systems and networking.
- Knowledge of systems analysis, and technological requirements of applications integrations.
- Knowledge of Storage Area Networks.
- Knowledge of database backup and recovery procedures.
- Knowledge of relational database structure, design and administration.
- Ability to lead assignments.
- Ability to monitor, optimize and tune the database environment for maximum security and performance.
- Ability to forecast and plan for future growth in the hardware and software that support the database environment.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, troubleshoot and resolve complex system hardware, software, networking and/or storage related problems.
- Ability to plan and conduct hardware, software and network testing and evaluation that leads to a supportable, production ready solution.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
Coordinates and conducts product evaluations, product implementation and standardization. Analyzes new hardware and software releases for their impact on the Senate environment; tests new releases on Senate supported platforms; develops product configuration standards for use in the Senate environment. Prepares technical documentation of configurations, processes, procedures and products/systems. Provides technical support and training to users. Creates, develops, modifies, instructs and provides technical assistance on business continuity plans and processes.
Licenses, Certification and Other Requirements
● This position may require the incumbent to be available for sudden recall in response to emergency events affecting the Senate campus/community, which may include after-hour or weekend work, and to potentially deploy to alternate sites in support of the Senate’s contingency operations. ● This position requires that the applicant obtain and maintain a secret U.S. Government security clearance. Applicants must be U.S. citizens in order for the SAA to submit your application for a security clearance. ● For education requirements please see Minimum Qualifications.
Conditions of Employment
To be employed by a Senate employing office in a paid position in the continental United States an individual must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen;
2. Be lawfully admitted for permanent residence and seeking citizenship as outlined in 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3)(B);
3. Be (i) admitted as a refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157 or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1158 and (ii) have filed a declaration of intention to become a lawful permanent resident and then a citizen when eligible; or
4. Owe allegiance to the U.S. (i.e., qualify as a non-citizen U.S. national under federal law).
Employment is contingent on background / security investigation results.
The SAA provides a highly competitive benefits package for all SAA staff. Our benefits extend beyond health care coverage to help provide employees with student loan reimbursement, professional development, transportation subsidy, TSP/retirement savings, access to our Employee Assistance Program, and more! For more information regarding SAA’s benefits, please visit https://sen.gov/OPPW
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the SAA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAA and need special assistance or an accommodation to complete the application process, please submit your request to SAAHRMedical@saa.senate.gov email with “Accommodation” in the subject line.
VOLUNTARY SELF-IDENTIFICATION FOR VETERANS' PREFERENCE
If you are identifying as veterans' preference eligible under the VEOA, please use this link [saa.csod.com]to complete your application for Veterans' Preference AFTER you apply for this position. The link will also be available on the "Thank You" page after you have submitted your job application.
Candidates only need to apply one time for veterans’ preference to be considered for all future veterans’ preference positions within the Senate Sergeant at Arms.
- All supporting documents must ONLY be provided within the Veterans’ Preference Application and within the stated deadline of the job announcement.
- Late applications for veterans’ preference will not be considered.
- Documentation to obtain veterans’ preference will not be considered if attached to the job application.
- If you need to revise or resubmit your Application for Veterans' Preference/documents, please withdraw your previous Application for Veterans' Preference and resubmit. If you require assistance, please email email@example.com.
- To view additional information regarding the VEOA, please click here [senate.gov].
An applicant who declines to self-identify as a disabled veteran and/or to provide information and documentation regarding his/her disabled veteran’s status will not be subjected to an adverse employment action, but the individual may be ruled ineligible for veterans’ preference.