Assistant Director, Physical Operations
- University of Maryland
- College Park, Maryland
- Feb 14, 2023
- Mar 21, 2023
- Management, Other
- Technology and Software
- Full Time
Position title: Assistant Director, Network Engineering
Position #: 117242
The Assistant Director of Network Engineering reports to the Director of Network Infrastructure Services in the Division of Information Technology (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park.
The Assistant Director of Network Engineering is responsible for providing team leadership and workforce management for their team in addition to embracing a supporting role in service development while nurturing a heightened operational excellence environment with an elevated commitment to customer service. This is both a strategic and tactical position in support of a large campus environment.
The service portfolio for this position consists of data center, core, aggregation, and border networking, firewall, VPN, and NAT services, voice services, and support for and knowledge of current routing and switching protocols, practices and tools.
The Assistant Director assists the Director with managing relationships with vendors, service providers, corporate partners, and University administration. Maintains overall responsibility for 24×7 uninterrupted operations of services within their portfolio and provides project management for projects of a complex or sensitive nature.
This is a progressive organization that seeks excellence, fosters collaborations, requires agility, maintains high work standards, supports diversity in thought, insists on continuous improvements and celebrates our accomplishments.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of Eight (8) years of progressive experience in Information Technology, including at least five years of supervisory experience and hands-on system experience in an enterprise data networking infrastructure or application environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of network design and engineering. Technical competency in the areas of networking, video, and telecommunications technology. A strong understanding of IP networking and highly experienced in data services engineering.
- Self-motivated, highly responsible, and service-oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Must work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust rapidly to frequent and significant changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively in emergencies.
- Ability to lead and motivate a workforce as well as develop staff capabilities.
- Skill in managing and influencing vendors and consultants
- Skill in work planning and project management (i.e., time estimates, resources allocations, project status updates, managing critical path and milestone deadlines).
- Ability to ramp up and add value quickly.
- Ability to lead and manage networking and/or telecommunication units.
- Ability to lead, manage, motivate, and develop staff.
- Ability to lead large enterprise-wide projects.
- Ability to manage budgets.
- Ability to work independently and in a matrix team environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with faculty, researchers, technical staff, administrators, and constituents outside the University.
- Ability to represent the University in various forums at the local, state, regional, and national levels.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline, is highly desired.
- Network-related certifications such as CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, and CCIE certifications are desirable.
- Experience working in a large research university environment.
- Medical, [uhr.umd.edu] dental [uhr.umd.edu], and vision [uhr.umd.edu]coverage designed to help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible work opportunities
- UMCP Tuition Remission [uhr.umd.edu] for employees, and their dependents to grow and achieve greatness.
- Generous paid time off package [uhr.umd.edu] to address work/life balance and maintain well-being.
- Retirement Benefits [uhr.umd.edu] created to aid employees in reaching future retirement goals.
- And many more… [uhr.umd.edu]
Salary range $140,000-$160,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
The incumbent will be “on-call” at all times. Some stress factors may be involved due to the nature of the operation and the complexity of duties. Ability to travel to meetings, conferences, and data center locations.
Best consideration date: 03/03/2023 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/104327
Vaccine protocol: The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [ejobs.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.