Senior Information Technology Specialist
- Montgomery County Government
- Derwood, Maryland
- Feb 06, 2023
- Mar 06, 2023
- Technology and Software
- Full Time
Senior Information Technology Specialist
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
16101 Frederick Rd Derwood, MD 20855
Salary Range: $78,719 - $130,167
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill a Senior Information Technology Specialist position within the Strategic Services Division. This position will provide senior level IT support for The Montgomery County Transfer Station which is the County’s waste disposal and recycling services site for municipalities, businesses, and residents.
The site is an industrial and residential service site that needs to meet certain safety requirements as well as handling of financial transactions. The site has two scale houses. The main scale house has four point-of-sales (POS) systems with 4 credit card machines that operates 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. The POS systems takes in approximately $2 million in monthly revenue. The Department also uses an Avigilon Intelligent Video Surveillance System which uses analytics to sound alarms, make announcements, and alert staff to issues as well as vehicles using License Plate Recognition (LPR). This position is required to report to the Transfer Station daily to oversee all of these Transfer Station projects and activities.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing, troubleshooting, and resolving all onsite issues at the Transfer Station related to the networking/server infrastructure, computers, POS system (including credit card machines).
• Managing, troubleshooting, and resolving all onsite issues at the Transfer Station related to video surveillance system, communication (two-way radios, cell phones, and telephones) to ensure that the infrastructure and integrated surveillance/communications systems and computers are functional during operational hours.
• Identifying enhancements and changes to the existing infrastructure/equipment to enhance safety and increase productivity and efficiency
• Conducting end-user training on all systems and equipment at the Transfer Station.
• Regularly tests functionality of security analytic events and failover network.
• Managing all onsite IT projects; coordinating and planning with contractors to ensure completion of work.
• Ensures all IT infrastructure diagrams, and documentation is updated to reflect site changes and enhancements
• Maintains all outdoor IT equipment to ensure reliability. Occasional evening or weekend work outside of normal business hours may be required.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
Experience: Five (5) years of professional experience in the information technology field in areas such as information technology, information systems, systems and network administration, technology management or computer engineering.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Information Systems, Systems and Network Administration, Technology Management, or Computer Engineering from an accredited college or university.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Physical Ability: Ability to lift boxes containing computer support items and equipment such as printers, computers, modems and monitors up to 50 pounds.
The applications of those individuals meeting the minimum qualifications will be reviewed to determine the extent, relevancy of training, and experience in the following preferred areas:
• Experience in IT systems installation, administration, maintenance, security, troubleshooting, training, and support.
• Experience integrating new technologies and keeping systems up to date.
• Experience in radio communications including UHF duplexer and repeaters, and MOTOTRBO management.
• Experience procuring funding for projects and equipment and working with contractors to finish projects on time and within budget.
• Experience creating detailed system diagrams and keeping instructions and system information organized and up to date
IMPORTANT: If selected for consideration for this position, you will be required to provide a portfolio of work samples as it pertains to environmental outreach, education and engagement campaigns including writing samples, social media posts, links to websites, videography, and downloadable materials. This should include work created for diverse cultures and multilingual audiences. You may also be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated on your resume.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG” tab. Read the full job description under the “Information Technology” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC57078.
This Recruitment Closes March 6, 2023
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.