Assistant Director of Editorial Strategies
- College Park, Maryland
- Commensurate with Experience
- Feb 06, 2023
- Mar 13, 2023
- Education, Colleges and Universities
- Full Time
Function Title: Assistant Director of Editorial Strategies
Position Number: 100245
The assistant director of editorial strategies in the Office of Marketing and Communications will have an essential role in the University of Maryland’s storytelling enterprise.
This experienced writer will report and write original content for digital and print with a high level of insight and sophistication—without sacrificing readability. This person must be able to identify promising leads and turn them into stories with speed, accuracy and pizzazz, whether a short article on research that deftly translates scientific findings for the daily news site or a longform, complex feature for the award-winning Terp magazine. The individual must be versatile, creative and able to write in innovative and non-narrative styles to targeted audiences—such as prospective students, faculty or alums—to inform, inspire and entertain.
This person will also have management responsibilities over Terp, including planning and scheduling; developing fresh and compelling story ideas; and coordinating production with the creative team.
Finally, this person will join the rest of the Editorial Strategies team in a lively, fast-moving environment in writing for marketing collateral, proofreading and contributing to other projects to advance the university’s strategic communications goals.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or related field.
Seven (7) years of professional reporting, writing and editing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent interviewing, writing and copy-editing skills
• Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to juggle projects under deadline pressure and amid changing priorities.
• Ability to build collaborative relationships in a diverse work environment.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Long-form narrative writing experience
• Line-editing experience
• Fluency translating science and research for general readers
• Experience writing social media content in a professional setting
• High level of familiarity with AP style
• Experience working in higher education
How To Apply: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/104074
For best consideration, qualified applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, list of references and links to three published articles no later than Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023. The linked articles should include at least one focused on research and should be submitted as Supplemental Document 1