The Deputy Vice President (DVP), System Operations Services provides national and authoritative guidance on all aspects of national air traffic flow management initiatives, system performance analysis, policy and concept development for airport surface flow management programs, requirements for weather observation and reporting standards, and operational oversight for all National Airspace System (NAS) security issues. The DVP executes the duties and responsibilities of this position via six (6) multi-layered directorates and staff offices consisting of over 425 employees and manages a budget of approximately $172M.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provides leadership, direction, and guidance to other Deputy Vice Presidents in the ATO concerning requirements for services provided for the NAS System Operations.
- Establishes policies, standards, and procedures covering air traffic flow management, airspace management, and aeronautical information management to support the safe, secure, and efficient use of navigable airspace.
- Provides leadership, direction and guidance to accomplish the FAA's statutory requirements to support law enforcement, DHS, and national security activities. Protects the United States and its interest from threats and other major incidents involving the Air Domain and mitigates the impact of threats on the safety efficiency of the nation's aviation system through associated response measures.
- Assesses the performance of the NAS, identifies future trends in the aviation industry, and develops strategies and plans to ensure a viable future for air transportation.
- Coordinates with a number of international organizations and working groups to achieve ATO's global strategies for air traffic management harmonization, standardization, advocacy, and technical and operational support.
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Aligns business and administrative processes, budget activities, and performance expectations consistently to support the ATO mission.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Designated or Random Drug Testing required.
As a basic requirement for entry into the FAA Executive System, you must clearly articulate and describe within your five ( 5 ) p a g e resume
evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Leadership and Technical Requirements listed below.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the following have been determined to be selective factors for this position. This means possession of this criteria is part of the minimum qualifications and is essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of this position. Applicants who do not possess these criteria are ineligible for further consideration. LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENT: Do you have experience in achieving operational results? If so, provide examples of ways you have exercised leadership to deliver significant results. Explain how you established goals, assessed outcomes, and improved products and services. Indicate how you identified and met customers' requirements and addressed the needs of stakeholders. Include examples of complex problems you solved or difficult obstacles that you overcame as a leader. Your description should include (1) the size and complexity of organizations you have led, (2) the scope of programs you have managed, and (3) the impact of your results on customers and other stakeholders.LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENT: Do you have experience leading people? If yes, describe the size of the organization and number and types of positions you have managed. Discuss ways that you have established and maintained positive work environments and prevented or eliminated discrimination or harassment. Describe ways that you have mentored and developed employees and built individual and team performance. Discuss how you have established and led teams to deliver products and services. Include in your description experience in leading others in a matrix environment across organizations.LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENT: Do you have experience building relationships? If yes, describe (1) the types of individuals with whom you routinely collaborate; and (2) the purpose and outcomes of the communication. Discuss your experience in communicating and cooperating with others to achieve goals. Provide examples of how you have built relationships to achieve consensus and how you were able to obtain the cooperation of others with competing priorities and perspectives. Describe how you effectively communicate information within and outside of your organization.LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENT: Do you have experience leading strategic change? If yes, describe examples of strategic changes that you led for your organization; describe the entities that the change affected (agency, industry, organizational components). Discuss obstacles you encountered and how you overcame them to the benefit of the agency. Include in your description ways that you applied long-range vision, developed strategies, and applied innovative ideas and techniques.TECHNICAL REQUIREMENT: Demonstrated experience leading a large aviation organization responsible for all aspects of national air traffic flow management that supports the safe and efficient operations of the National Airspace System (NAS). Education
An education requirement has not been established for this occupational series.
Preview Job Questionnaire
Make sure your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications and answers to the job questionnaire. Additional information
Position may be subject to a background investigation.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
Veterans preference does not apply to the FAA Executive System.
The person selected for this position may be required to file a financial disclosure statement within 30 days of entry on duty. FAA policy limits certain outside employment and financial investments in aviation-related companies. www.faa.gov/jobs/working_here/financial_disclosure_requirements
The U.S. Department of Transportation strives to ensure that equity, transparency, accountability, collaboration, and communication permeate all that we do for the betterment of the Department, the traveling public, and our nation. As such, DOT values a highly diverse workforce of persons who promote a culture of belonging by respecting the personal dignity and worth of each individual and fostering a positive environment where all feel safe and welcome. If these commitments coincide with your personal ideals and professional aspirations, please consider joining the DOT family.
This position is covered by the Department of Transportation's Drug and Alcohol Testing Program. Any applicant tentatively selected for this position will be subject to pre-employment or pre-appointment drug screening. Persons occupying a "testing designated position (TDP)" will be subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
This is not a bargaining unit position.Links to Important Information:
Locality Pay , COLA