As the Personnel Security Specialist you will assist the Chief, Personnel Security Branch in the implementation of the NRC Personnel Security program. This includes determining an individual's initial or continued eligibility for a pre-employment investigation waiver under Section 145b of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended (AEA); for an NRC access authorization (security clearance for Federal, contractor and licensees); or for unescorted building access or information technology access authorization (contractors only). Additionally, it involves the processing of related activities at NRC headquarters, regional offices, contractor, licensee and other facilities affiliated with the NRC Security Program.
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Advises and assists the Chief, PSB, in the planning, development and execution of policies, standards and procedures for the NRC Personnel Security Program, to assure efficient operation of the branch.
- Implements the administrative and adjudicatory process and review of NRC access authorizations (security clearances), special nuclear material or information access authorizations, or other access approval cases for NRC employees, contractors, licensees, and others involving significantly derogatory information in accordance with established procedures.
- Requests investigative products from the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA); and supplemental investigatory actions when information cannot be favorably assessed against the criteria and procedures in 10 CFR Parts 10, 11, and 25 and EO 12968 which requires additional supporting information amplification or clarification.
- Administers the pre-employment investigation waiver program, under Section 145b by reviewing and evaluating the eligibility of applicants pursuant to 10 CFR Parts 10, 11 and 25, EO 12968 and MD 12.3. Recommends approval/disapproval, as warranted.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- This is a Drug Testing position.
- Background investigation leading to a clearance is required for new hires.
To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the NRC will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent that an NRC job announcement includes the requirement that applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply.
You must meet the qualifications for this position by no later than 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement and before placement in the position. Qualifications
In order to qualify for this position, you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level GG-12
in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following: Substantial knowledge, ability and specific experience in explaining and interpreting Regulations, Federal Statutes, Executive Orders, Directives and other government issuances as they pertain to Personnel Security. Proper use of the adjudicative process by the candidate would be indicated by his/her ability to grant, mitigate, deny or revoke security clearance based on all of the facts of the case. Evidence that the applicant has such knowledge may be based on a substantial number of examples of instances where the candidate recommended the applicant or employee be denied security clearances or access authorization based on in-depth review and analysis of pertinent background information and/or source information from the investigative and law enforcement organizations. Knowledge of investigative, fact-finding, and evaluating practices about personnel security, with the ability to communicate information, ideas, and advice in a clear, concise, and logical manner, both orally and in writing. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as: A description of how you possess the specialized experience as well as how you meet the qualifications desired in an ideal candidate should be addressed in your resume.Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
The duty location of this position is Rockville, Maryland
. In general, employees are expected to be in the office at a minimum of 4 days per pay period**
. Telework schedules, including full-time telework, are approved, on a case-by-case basis. If selected, telework will be determined in accordance with Agency policy and the Collective Bargaining Agreement, if applicable.