Solid Waste Management Division is looking for our next Scale House Attendant! Is that you? Our ideal candidate thrives helping others in a fast-paced environment. This candidate is an active listener who takes the time to understand our customer needs and ensures effective communication. Day-to-day responsibilities and duties are described as follows:
- Participates in operational and administrative functions related to refuse vehicle weighing, billing information processing, and permit issuance at the I-66 and/or potentially the I-95 Complex.
- Determines routine material type and origin of waste loads at county-operated waste disposal facilities.
- Conducts waste inspections in accordance with permit requirements to determine acceptability for disposal, recycling or rejection.
- Inspects refuse collection vehicles for compliance with county regulations.
- Obtains disposal permit numbers, enters appropriate information into computer system, confirms weights, determines direct sale or third-party billing, and determines disposal fee.
- Collects fees, including cash and checks, as well as completes credit card transactions. Adheres to the Fairfax County procedures governing the handling of cash, checks, and credit cards.
- Provides routine information and answers questions from the public and commercial hauling firms concerning the disposal and recycling of materials.
- Direct residents and commercial customers where to correctly discard their disposal or recycling material onsite after processing.
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with Solid Waste safety programs and guidelines.
The assigned functional areas of this position are general administrative support and finance . This position is not eligible for telework. Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to high school graduation and two years of experience providing administrative support in the assigned functional area(s).CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Six months of experience providing technical support in a refuse operation(s) or a related field.
- Two years of experience working with the general public.
- Six months prior reconciliation and cash handling experience
- One year or more demonstrated computer and data entry experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
Ability to lift up to 25 pounds without assistance, and 25 to 35 pounds with or without assistance. Strength and manual dexterity needed when performing repetitious tasks. Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. Ability to stand, walk, climb, stoop, reach and work in tiring an uncomfortable positions for lengthy periods of time. Ability to work in adverse weather conditions and temperatures. Ability to sustain possible exposure to household hazardous waste. Occupational noise exposure, to include loud noise from trucks (dba of 90). All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314 . EEO/AA/TTY.