Come work with the top technology leaders in local government. Bring your talents, experience, and innovative ideas to enhance the county’s technology.
Fairfax County Department of Information Technology (DIT) is ranked in the top tier in the "Digital County" survey by the Center for Digital Government (CDG) and the National Association of Counties (NACo); in the Top Ten for the past 20+ years, Top Five in fifteen of those years, and #1 four times and #2 in 2022 in the 100,000,000 or more population category. Join us as we meet our goal is to promote innovation, support county services, energize overall technology, develop, and maintain information technology systems, and provide secure, agile, and sustainable technology infrastructure for county residents and customers.
DIT is seeking a strong leader who is adaptable, a dynamic critical thinker who is passionate about supporting innovative IT projects to serve as Director of the IT Project Management Office reporting directly to Fairfax County’s Chief Information Officer (CIO)/ Chief Technology Officer (CTO) working closely with the Sr. Leadership team to create Product Requirements Documents (PRDs), communication/documentation, executive summaries, and product briefings. This is a key position in the IT ecosystem.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Direction and oversight of IT portfolio from planning through closeout to ensure IT projects have clear goals, objectives, funding, and timelines with measurable milestones that achieve organization goals and business commitments.
- Accountable for project portfolio performance to business and release schedule commitments - including driving portfolio risk/issue resolution, acting as escalation path or decision maker for project team, and ensuring cross functional collaboration and communication.
- Accountable for project portfolio performance to the capital and expense budgets - including, forecasting, tracking, and corrective recommendations to meet budget goals.
- Ensures alignment of IT project portfolio to organization strategy. Works in close collaboration with IT Leadership team to facilitate the intake of the IT portfolio, with Release Management and Deliver leadership to establish milestones, metrics, and track performance.
- Provides PMO resource management oversight, coaching and mentoring on project management processes, staff development and training opportunities. Ensures team have clear goals in alignment to organization objectives and career development.
- Provides IT procurement oversight - including intake, prioritization, tracking, and execution of all IT contracts impacting IT portfolio, in collaboration with agency IT and non-IT professionals.
- Oversees portfolio and departmental financials and staffing discussions to deliver upon the IT portfolio.
- Coordinate the implementation and integration efforts across county agencies' business teams, and multiple technology teams.
- Manages development, editing and publication of the County’s annual IT Plan; and coordinates procurement/contract issues with project managers, DIT management and fiscal team, and Department of Procurement and Material Management.
- Develop complex, in-depth communications for internal and external audiences and manage projects that involve coordinating multiple business areas and agencies.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Possession of a bachelor's degree in computer science, or closely related field; plus seven years of progressively responsible experience in applying information technology to meet the needs of a government or business organization.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and credit check to the satisfaction of the employer prior to appointment.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience in managing grants, capital investments, technology budgets, and/or project or program management oversight functions enterprise-wide and regional programs. Ability to use project management systems and tools, and dashboards. Ability to interact with senior management, make effective presentations, and function in a matrix management environment. Possess excellent analytical and organizational skills. Must possess strong project management skills. . Must possess an understanding of the impacts of new applications on assets and have awareness and understanding of the challenges of implementing a governance model in a mixed technical and operational environment. Must possess strong analytical skills, understand systems design methodologies, understand system design life cycle concepts, employ best practices for systems design, development and maintenance operations. Must possess strong organization and written/oral communication skills and ability to work with contractor and locality stakeholders at various functional, technical and executive levels.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov