Job Announcement $2,500 Signing Bonus*
Performs various skilled tasks in repairing and painting damaged bodies on a variety of motor vehicles, including school buses, dump trucks, fire apparatuses and equipment. Specific duties include:
- Straightens, repairs or replaces damaged vehicle sections.
- Operates power drills, grinders, air cutters, welding and cutting torches, paint spray guns, sanders and a variety of hand tools.
- Sands, primes and paints a finished body or a complete vehicle and equipment.
- Installs reflectors and mirrors; adjusts doors, hoods, trunks and seat tracks.
- Prepares estimates for repair of damaged vehicles to include cost of parts and labor.
The work hours for this position will be day shift (5:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.); position is located at the department's Newington Facility. Work is performed under limited supervision.
The hourly rate offer will be in the minimum to midpoint range (or $21.7330 to $28.9775 ) of the advertised compensation rage. Promotional rules apply for current Fairfax County Government and Fairfax County Public Schools employees.
*A $2,500 signing bonus is available to new county employees hired in the Automotive Body Repairer I position. Applicants must possess a valid CDL at time of application submission to be eligible. This bonus program requires a signed payback agreement between the department and employee.
To learn more about a career with Fairfax County Department of Vehicle Services, watch our video "This is The Department of Vehicle Services"
. Illustrative Duties
Straightens, repairs or replaces damaged vehicle sections; operates power drills, grinders, air cutters, welding and cutting torches, paint spray guns, sanders and a variety of hand tools; sands, makes, primes and paints finished body work, or complete vehicle; installs reflectors and mirrors; adjusts doors, hoods, trunks, seat and seat tracks; makes estimates of damage; moves vehicles on shop grounds; road tests repaired vehicles.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment used in the repair and painting of damaged motor vehicles;
- Ability to use a wide variety of tools in the repair and painting of damaged motor vehicles;
- Ability to keep simple records;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to completion of the tenth grade and three years of experience in the body repair and painting of damaged motor vehicles. Related automotive body repair education or trade training above the high school level may be substituted for experience on an hour for hour basis.UNDERFILL REQUIREMENTS:
This position may be underfilled as an Automotive Body Repairer Aide
(Grade S15; $41,253.89 - $68,755.86 Annually).
The employment standards for the Automotive Body Repairer Aide are: Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade with coursework in vehicle collision or mechanical repair. Possession of a set of basic hand tools commonly used in the automotive industry, such as wrenches, pliers, and sockets and ratchets. Personal tools are required upon appointment.
Underfill candidates must be able to meet the minimum qualifications of the Automotive Body Repairer I within two years of the job announcement's closing date by 02/17/2025.
Applicants hired at the Automotive Body Repairer Aide level will be non-competitively promoted to the Automotive Body Repairer I level upon successful completion of an underfill agreement.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid driver's license.
- A valid Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) or Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - Class B with air brakes, P (Passenger) and S (School Bus) endorsements is required within 30 days of an offer. Applicants hired with a CLP must obtain a CDL - Class B within eleven months of hire date. Endorsements are determined by the needs of the business area. Fairfax County requires CDL holders to obtain and keep current a Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Card.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Three years or more of experience in the body repair and painting of damaged motor vehicles.
- Possess current Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification(s) or completion of the I-CAR Professional Development Program (PDP) for Collision Repair Professionals.
- Ability to maintain effective public and employee relationships.
- Demonstrated experience working on a variety of vehicles.
- All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemptionprior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Possession of a set of personal hand tools commonly used in the repair section to which appointment is made.
- The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check, a commercial driver license screening and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
- This position is considered essential personnel and will be required to report to work during times designated countywide as approved for unscheduled leave regardless of the emergency situation (i.e., weather, transportation, other disaster).
Must be able to lift 50 pounds on an average of once daily; stoop, bend, twist, and reach many times daily; use ladders extensively; use creeper or get on hands and knees several times daily. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov