The School Security Officer (SSO) primary responsibility is to provide for the safety, security, and welfare of students and staff while assigned to an Alexandria City Public School (ACPS) campus; detect and minimize the frequency and/or severity of harmful incidents; and effectively communicates observations and/or incidents that have a potential impact on the general well-being of students, school personnel, and/or visitors.
The SSO is an individual employed by ACPS for the singular purpose of maintaining order and discipline, preventing crime, investigating violations of school board policies, and detaining students violating the law or school board policies on school property, in school-owned vehicles, or at school-sponsored events and who is responsible solely for ensuring the safety, security, and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the school. (Code of Virginia 2002, 9.1-101, Chapter 868)
The SSO works under the direction of the Coordinator of Security and Emergency Management through a school administrator. The SSO ensures a safe and secure learning environment is established for students, faculty, staff, and the community. The SSO works with the school staff and students to maintain order and discipline in the school.Qualifications: Education:
Certificates & Licenses:
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- One year of college coursework.
- Valid Driver's License and copy of driving record
- Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) School Security Officer (SSO) Certification within 60 days of hire
- Continued SSO recertification (every 2 years)
- Obtain and maintain CPR Certification
- A minimum of 2 years of work-related experience is required.
- 1-year of security experience.
- Retired law enforcement professionals (Federal, State, & Local) are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to communicate with police and fire department personnel to address immediate safety concerns and emergency situations.
- Ability to confidently communicate school policy and enforcement procedures to students, personnel, and visitors to ensure their understanding and the potential consequences of violation.
- Ability to intervene during the conflict in order to minimize injury, disruption of the learning environment, or damage of campus property.
- Ability to keep detailed logs/notes of all incidents, events, calls, and radio contacts.
- Monitors students at arrival, between assigned periods, and school dismissal within a variety of school environments (e.g. restrooms, playgrounds, hallways, library, cafeteria, etc.) to ensure the safety and welfare of students, and help stop or prevent student confrontations.
- Ability to operate and monitor electronic devices including both audio and visual alarms, and other surveillance devices. This includes security camera system monitoring and playback functions.
- Proficiently operate communications systems, two-way radios, and leased lines.
- Ability to maintain uniform in a professional appearance, while taking pride in completing assigned work.
- Capable of maintaining excellent attendance and job performance record.
- Patrols various ACPS properties as assigned to provide for the safety and welfare of students, school personnel, and visitors (by vehicle or on foot)
- Ability to prepare concise documentation (e.g. incident and activity reports, security logs, etc.).
- Refers incidents to appropriate site personnel (e.g. injuries, altercations, suspicious activities, etc.) to ensure follow-up in accordance with administrative guidelines.
- Reports observations and incidents relating to specific students (e.g. accidents, fights, inappropriate social behavior, violations of rules, etc.) to appropriate instructional and/or administrative personnel for follow-up action.
- Capable of quickly responding to emergency situations and immediate safety concerns.
- Must portray professionalism when addressing school administrators, faculty, staff, students, law enforcement personnel, and citizens in the community.
- Must adhere to the SSO uniform dress code prescribed by the Coordinator of Security and Emergency Management and maintain a professional appearance
- Must model appropriate trustworthy behavior for students to emulate.
- Must understand the terms and conditions of employment as an SSO.
- Must be able to use a computer and check email.
- Must be self-motivated and have the character to complete assigned work with minimal supervision.
- Works a flexible schedule to accommodate job requirements including emergencies, nighttime, weekend, and holiday duties.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
ACHS King Street Campus Salary Range:
$16.25 - $19.99 / Support SUP-10 Shift Type: